aquarium backing question

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
Last second-hand tank I bought had the printed background films siliconed to the inside of the rear glass! :-S It all came off easily enough but what a fuss! As Cichlid-Man says, simply use clear sellotape to affix it to the outside back.

I heard a very good idea once from a fellow fishkeeper who was especially creative in DIY projects and she suggested using a bit of Vaseline jelly (be conservative, not too much) to line the backing with (this can be done by just going around the edges of the backing or with a very thin coating over the entire sheet) and adhesing it to the back glass. What makes this an especially helpful hint is that the backing can be taken off and changed as needed with little or no effort. Other benefits to this method is that the Vaseline also acts as a water repellant, and some have told me that it will make the colors seem more vivid when they are against the glass !

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I use mineral oil. Spread it in a thin layer over the back of the tank ... I use a small brush for that. Then I lay the background over it, and squeegee the background to get all the airbubbles out of it, and to make sure all of the oil is evenly distributed. It's easier if the tank is laying on its side, but I've done it while upright as well. I've also taken cork tiles .... painted them with a metallic blue auto paint and siliconed them to the top and bottom rim (outside) of the tank.

mabrawn

New Fish
Jul 5, 2011
one thing i would like to know is could one glue on such a background? for i found one that i like and i dont like the idea of using tape, so is there a way to glue one on and keep the bright colors?

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
vasoline is a great idea. Tape works sorta well but water spots inevitably will form between the background and the tank, I like acrylic paint right on the glass for backings personally.

you can use elmers glue and water to affix things to glass as well :) just paint a thin layer then go over it with a spatchela to get any bubbles out, although vasoline sounds like the best idea suggested.