Aquarium hot reaching 81

Jun 2, 2008
Why is my aquarium so hot, My tempature meder has read 80 degrees for a few days now it like 81. Isnt that a big high? Shouldnt it be in high seventies for a tropical tank?

What I dont understand either is my heater is set to 76 degrees

Is my strip getting wrong readings? Should I find a better one?

My tank is at 81 degrees but the ehaters heating light is on which means its heating wtf

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Sounds like you have one of the thermometers that stick on the outside of the tank? If so then those are notorious for giving bad readings. They can often take the ambient air temp of the room into the reading, throwing off the range of the water temp.

Invest in a glass thermometer, or I've really found the digital thermometers from coralife to be great, and on the cheaper side of the wallet as far as the digitals are concerned.

First find out if the thermometer is wrong. If it is, easy enough to replace. If it isn't, then it might be your heater. Filters can also raise the temp of the water some, but if the heater is set at 76, it shouldn't raise it to 81.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I agree, go with the glass. I have one of those tape ones on my 10G and it's always off.

That said depending on what type of fish you have, 80F isn't the end of the world.

Jun 2, 2008
Heaters fine, its probably innacuate crap. Its plastic strip on the side. I have a feeling I will slowly end up throwing away the orginal aquarium equitment. I'm going to go with the Coralife one for 7 bucks, It seems decent.

I've send 300+ but, I dont mind. This is the funnest and best hobby I've ever had. That Bio Sprira stuff is SO GOOD, I was able to put my fish in the next day (less than 24 hours) and there still alive and well. My tank is about perfect right now and I plan to keep it that way.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Don't throw it away. Put it aside you'll use it in the future. Trust me. If nothing else for hospital tanks.

Most of us start that way. We buy a 'kit' and then slowly replace the equipment as we have time.

The filter that came with my 10G is now on my 3G for my betta for example. You'll end up with a box of 'spare parts' and one day there will be an emergancy, your impaler on your existing filter goes, your heater dies, what have you and you'll be glad you have those spares to make do with until you can get your good stuff fixed/replaced. Or you have to set up a make shift hospital tank in a bucket and you'll be very glad you have that extra filter and heater around. :)

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
No you said you'll end up throwing out your origional equipment. I was suggesting you replace it but not throw it out.

Jun 2, 2008
Tempature meter is retarded, i put heater to 72 and my tank feels COLDER but now my temp meter just has all diff colors its all out of it. I put it back to 76 and now its heating and it was COOL when i touched it.

I'm getting a digital one from my LSF tmm

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
The digital ones are really nice for day to day use (just being able to walk by the tank and glance at it to see the temp) but I would go ahead and spend the $2 for the glass one as well just to be able to double check the temp. Few things can kill an entire tank quicker than a heater gone wacky.

Jun 2, 2008
Got glass one, same reading. I turned heater basically off (down to 64) tempoarily to see what happens.

Fish are doign good btw.

Today I tested

PH- 7.0
Amonia- Between 0 and 0.25 leaning more toward 0 so i guess like 0.10
Nitrates-0

but waters a lil cloudly, Can someone help me figure out why its cloudly? Only thing not tested is nitrites because my LFS didnt have the tester

Jun 2, 2008
Cloudy water can be normal during the start up lifecycle of a tank. Just make sure your not overfeeding. Any ammonia reading is to much, I might do a 25% water change and add more biospira.
As I said it looked like it was 0 but it also looked a little bit on the 0-0.25 side the problem I am having is, I don't know if I am overfeeding.

It gets hot in here alot but, Even when its cool and my air condioner is on the tempature doesnt change.

Jun 2, 2008
Cloudy water can be normal during the start up lifecycle of a tank. Just make sure your not overfeeding. Any ammonia reading is to much, I might do a 25% water change and add more biospira.

Okay, I'm going to test everything one more time than I will probably do a 25% water change. How much bio spira should I add?