aquarium light -- how to setup timer?

dddd

New Fish
Feb 11, 2009
hi,

anyone know how to setup an aquarium light on a timer?

The lamp I have is one of those fluorescent tubes. everytime it shuts off, the ON button needs to be held for a few seconds to turn it back on.

The rotary timer I have that attaches to the plug, won't turn it back on.

Hopefully you have some suggestions so that i don't have to purchase a different aquarium light

tx in advance!

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'm prepared to be wrong here but I don't think you can get that type of Fluorecent to run on timers. It has something to do with the starter (small cylindrical thing in the light strip). Could you post a pic of the fixture? Both inside and out please.

I *think* I may have one of those sitting around somewhere... If I can find it I'll give it a shot and post back.

There may be a DIY solution. Are you handy and comfortable with electrical?

Chris

PCFishGuy

Medium Fish
Dec 25, 2008
Port Charlotte Fla
Im afraid i have to agree with Chris, but im sure there is some DIY tricks you can use to modify the light, added benifit is better light.

Sounds like it is an older style anyways, and upgrading will no doubt increase the life of the bulb.

dddd

New Fish
Feb 11, 2009
nothing happens if you continue to hold down the on button after its lit. ie. it stays lit.

it sounds like its going to have to be replaced =*(

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
nope...what you do is tape the on button down.

the timer is between the lamp and the power source right? so if you tape the power button down then it will turn on when the timer allows power through, and off when theres no power.

try this and please tell the results.

PCFishGuy

Medium Fish
Dec 25, 2008
Port Charlotte Fla
holding the button in only allows the bulb to partially illuminate, it provides an additional "starting current" after which releasing the switch allows the bulb to fully illuminate.

You could i suppose create a timer circuit, the simpler way is simply install a rapid start or electronic ballast. Then the "Start" button will not be required

s_anthony

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Wouldn't it be nice if they built these lights WITH the timers built in - or do they already have those - maybe I havn't done my homework...

I bought a surge strip for my tanks a while ago that has a digital time built in. If you can find one of those that also may work for you so that you can time other things in your tank if you need to other than just your lighting :)

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
To my knowledge there is only one lighting system that has a built in timer and it's marketed for marine systems (specifically reef): SunDial T5HO | Current What's Next
Nothing saying it wouldn't work for freshwater just have to change out the lamps, but really it would be *TOTAL* over-kill and down right unnecessary. IMO, even for *most* planted tanks it wouldn't be needed.

The power strips with the built in timers can work but in this instance I just don't know. Maybe I should pick up a starter and fudge around with my old one...

Chris