Aquarium Salt Inquiry

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Hey again.

I have a 20G tank with 5 fancy guppies and a betta and an amano shrimp. I have Cabomba, java moss, a very small amount of anubias nana (two leaves, the rest died off) and windelov (a strain of java fern).

I know guppies like aquarium salt, and I have recently read that bettas do as well. What about the plants and shrimp? Will they die with the salt or not? I was thinking of adding it at the rate of a tablespoon per five gallons. I was thinking of adding it to the next water change (I do 25% changes, so I could introduce it slowly, one tablespoon per water change).

Anyways any info with this would be very helpful. I want to keep them all as happy as possible but DO NOT want to kill anything.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Well, I don't think salt is "required" for your current stocking.

I may be wrong but i think the salt may actually kill those plants, but wait for a more seasoned "planted tank veteran" to confirm that.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Like every one has said it's not needed, But i breed guppies one time and had some Aquarium salt laying around so i added it. I also had Java moss in there, everything (plant and fish) did great with it, i had to trim the jave moss pretty often. I didn't have the set up with out the salt so not sure if it helpped all that much but it deff. didn't hurt anything.

Can't say for sure what it would do to your other plants.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
If the information presented in this thread isn't enough, also try using the Search function on the forums here, as this topic has been covered quite a few times in the past and there is a wealth of information hiding in the older threads.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
all right. Thanks again everyone.

Sorry to give the wrong meaning there JWright. I have just received some good advise form BV and Lotus recently so just wanted some reassurance.