Aquarium salt?

Sep 2, 2006
ND
I plan on getting a 55 gallon tank. I am trying to decide what fish to put in right now. Here are some thoughts that I have.

Dwarf Guoramis, Black or Phantom tetras (Just about every tetra really), Mollies, and some cory cats.

The list changes frequently, but that is how it stands this instant.

With this combination of fish, would I need to add aquarium salts? If I don't need to add salts, what fish would I want to avoid putting in the tank to avoid having to put them in? I can be a bit lazy at times, and there are times when I will not be able to tend to the tank every day.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Mollies can live in a brackish (slightly saltwater) tank, but all the other fish in the tank would prefer having as little salt as possible (i.e... none). The mollies will do just fine in freshwater, so don't worry about the salt.

Welcome to the tank! When do you plan on getting your tank setup? Read up on fishless cycling... it'll save you a lot of headaches...

Sep 2, 2006
ND
I will be setting up the 55gallon in October after a move. I am considering setting up a 10 gallon that I have this weekend just to get started. I picked one up at a yard sale to use as a quarentine tank if need be. It would start with fish that would eventually end up in the bigger tank.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I would set up the 10 and get it running and cycled then when you set up the 55 you all ready have a jump start on the Bacteria needed for a quick cycle. I would just get some small fish to start the 10 with. It would be beneficial is you had some kind of stocking plan so you arent mixing aggressive with community.

MAHA

Sep 2, 2006
ND
JWright said:
Yes, you could start the 10g with some fish, or you could save them the stress of ammonia and nitrite poisoning by fishless cycling.

You'll also find that fishless will generally give you a much better grasp on how the cycle works in aquariums.
I have read the fishless cycling recipe, and plan to give that a try. I may set up the 10 gallon for now just to give me something to do. I could cycle it, make the move, and then set up the big tank after getting settled in. It is a small move, so I don't forsee any major troubles moving the tank.

On a semi related note, when you do water changes, how do you compensate for the difference in water temps? I currently live in North Dakota, and our water comes out of the tap at around 55 degrees almost year round.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Here in the north east we have these nifty inventions called "hot water heaters". We have two valves on our sink faucets so you can mix hot and cold water to get the desired temperature.

Alternatively, you could let it sit out overnight and warm up to room temperature. If you're only changing 20% or so, it's not going to have a tremendous impact. If the water is 10 degrees cooler, it'll only drop the tank 2 degrees.

~JW