Aquariums SUCK!

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
It's true, I tell ya! I think someone imbeded subliminal messages in my head instructing me to always want to buy one.

I just went to the store to buy a gallon size fish bowl to temporarily house my betta in while I medicate him for about a week. I figured I could invest $5 and make medicating him easier, rather than treating him in the 29g tank.

I ended up buying an Aqua-tech 5 gallon hex tank ($29.97) plus three bags of gravel ($1.67 each, total of six pounds).

So, my intentions of spending $5 turned into a final charge of $37.87. My wife's gonna kill me when I go home. :eek:

Will it ever end? Will I always buy tanks? I got a 29g for Christmas. I bought a used 30g last month, then turned around and bought a 10g to house the fish that came with the while it cycles.

Last edited:

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
tom91970 said:
Will it ever end? Will I always buy tanks? I got a 29g for Christmas. I bought a used 30g last month, then turned around and bought a 10g to house the fish that came with the while it cycles.
Man, that sounds familiar, No it will never end.....:p

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I feel your pain, Tom. lol
It really does never end...which is what makes it so much fun...and challenging; challenge being the ability to avoid having divorce papers thrown at you because the wife says you have way too many tanks!.

Congrats on the new setup!
And as for when the wife finds out...well...you have my sympathies. :rolleyes:

BV

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
Yes, it is controlable.
The need for new tanks for me calmed down after I had about 110 tanks set up. I currently have 125 tanks going.
I am building a new stand next week that will hold 12 more 10 gallon tanks.
Remember, you control the hobby, not the other way around.

Dino

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
haha oh i know... ive been saving for a laptop (ask matt) for about ... ohh 3-4 months now? and since ive started saving, ive started up my SW tank, got a 33gal hehe :D it never ends

iamcowboy

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Crandall, TX
Dino said:
Yes, it is controlable.
The need for new tanks for me calmed down after I had about 110 tanks set up. I currently have 125 tanks going.
I am building a new stand next week that will hold 12 more 10 gallon tanks.
Remember, you control the hobby, not the other way around.

Dino
That is nearly as funny as the talking dogs.

it gets worse

I am of the firm belief that if it involves water their is no hope! I started out with a 19 1/2 foot boat and thought that was huge...then it got wet and shrunk....went to a 23 1/2 footer...same thing, it got wet and shrunk now I have a 30 footer and you guessed it..it got wet and shrunk...same with aquariums 20 gal to a 55 to a 95 and I want more and bigger!

bigrojo28

Small Fish
Jul 18, 2006
DAMN...:eek:

Ive got one tank and im for the most part happy. My ideal would be another tank and a 5g betta bowl...

How much does it cost to run all of those, dino? You've got a disease or something...:p

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
Last months utility bill was $431.
Most of that was heating the building during the nights.
During the summer, it cost less than $100, with a three foot across exhaust fan running from an hour after sunrise til about sunset.

I am hoping that next year I wil be able to make about $100 a tank.
With just the tanks I have set up now, that would traslate into $12,500, for the year.
The reason I think this is doable is that I am very careful as to what I am keeping in there.
Freshwater shrimp, show quality guppies, and exotic species of swordtails make up the bulk of what I am working with now.
I am also working with bristlenose catfish and aquatic plants.

With all that, and the orchids and cacti, I figure I should not have any problem making the bills.
The actual building will be totally paid for by 2010, as I took a loan out to build it.
So, the only costs I have are: loan, utility, food, fertilizer.

I am building stands at the rate of about 1 a month.
The stands I am currently building are for tanks I already own.
Besides the 125 tanks I have set up, I have another 75 or so stored away.
This operation was 25 years in the planning, so I had a LOT of time to prepare.

best,
Dino