aquascaping ?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
has anyone drilled/cut their rock to make caves or tunnels or anything like that? im sure most of you guys just stack them but i wanted to see if it can be done and how it looks? is the best place to put the rock in the middle of the tank (inbetween the front and the back) not in the "center" if you will.. so the fish can swim around it and not be able to only swim in it then hit the glass? if anyone has any pics of the rock they drilled or cut could ya post it for me thanks!

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i haven't drilled or cut live rock but i have spoken to people that have...they were drilling holes in them to put rods in to stabilize their aquascaping

as far as rock placement, it is best to put them in the middle leaving swimming room around all sidess and not resting on the side glass

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Ive heard of people drilling rock to instert rods (as camaro said) and then creating peaks and more stable structures. I know at marinedepot they sell some fixtures for aquascaping (with rods jutting out and suction cups on the back if you want to pount something like that and have it jude out.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
ok here we go...

spliting rock. A flat head screwdriver, a hammer and a cement floor work quite well. Just work at it and it will eventually bust up.

there are numerous ways to secure rock zipties, putty, metal rods, braces, and just wedging them together. However, securing your rock is a very good idea, especially once you start adding inhabitants who might knock the rock over...which could crack the glass and empty your tank...no fun.

I like a combination of all of the above.

aquascaping is easy when you are starting a tank from scratch. Make sure the tank is mostly empty with water...easier to work that way.

zip ties-choose a color that is not noticable, I like black, and they may be visable for a while but will eventually be covered by coraline algae. To attach them either run them through holes already in the rock, or the prefered method is a power drill with a metal drill bit. Do this part out of water. I like to do my rough aquascaping out of water on some towels and cardboard...that way it is easier to move around and adjust and do the work, not to mention the risk of electrical hazard. Put your large base pieces roughly ziptied together outside the tank then have a friend/parent/indentured servant help you lift them into the tank. If you are going to be using metal rods drill the holes for these now at the apropriate diameter for the rod. run lots of zipties through the base rock and make them fairly tight, with just enough room to fit another zip tie through them.

Once the base rocks are in place and your base zipties are ready to go, start adding the other rock in the design you wanted, with zipties though that rock as well...daisy chain the two sets of rock together untill they are as tight as you can get it. At the same time if using metal rods insert them now. Just a note...make sure you have an excess of zipties, you will use alot, and you don't want to have to run out and get more.

So now you have got your basic design down with larger rocks, make sure everything is stable and then start filling in some spaces, use smaller rocks and putty as extra security and wedges against your other rocks. You can even daisy chain medium sized rock together to make bridges etc...(you can see and example of this in in the attached photos.)

Remember! Leave enough room so that you can fit your magnet scraper all the way around where you want to see in the tank.

Fill the rest of the water in and let it sit...It is good to be nervous, go back and check your work, make sure it remains stable...sleep lightly those first couple nights, I always do!

So here are a few pictures of my 90 that was aquascaped using all of the above techniques, you will see rock piles, then a large one piece bridge (about 14", long and thin, it is a great piece, if you get something like that dont break it, put it to good use.) Then on the far side there is another "bridge" linked together by 4 or 5 different pieces of rock.

hope this helped...feel free to elaborate on or ask questions...I am sure I forgot something rather important.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
As long as you have a fully charged drill, or mains connected, rock should drill really easily. I have nothing to add except my experience has been that aquascaping with a few large pieces of rock is much easier than monkeying around trying to stick little bits together with milliput modelling clay and zip ties.
And get it right before it goes in the tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I aquascaped my 75g with 5 large pieces totally 135lbs. As each rock weighs in at over 20lbs each it was relatively easy, just made sure that the top pieces fit snugly into the bottom ones. So far haven't had any problems with movement so far, though my sandsifting gobie has moved any sand that was under them. Good luck this is where artistic sense comes in to play.....just don't stack them like a fruit stand.