Aquatech.....No biofilter!!!?

Sep 2, 2006
ND
I have set up my tank (6 gallon, rather than the 10 I had planned on) with the Aquatech 5-15 filter that was given to me with it. I ran by WalMart to get a new filter as I did not want to use the one that was in it (all of previous owners fish died). I noticed that it did not have a biofilter, and it looks as if they actually come this way out of the box. I would like to add something to the thing to act as a biofilter. There is a space just past the mechanical filter that I could put some sort of media in. Do you guys have any suggestions? I was considering putting a sponge in the "box" and trying to grow bacteria in it.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If you dont have a UGF then most of your bacteria is going to live in your filter cartridge. Bacteria will grow wherever it wants to. This is fine, but you just dont want to change that cartridge. USUALLY thats fine...just take the cartridge out a couple times a month and swish it off in used tank water to clean it off but preserve the bacteria. Be careful trying to put too much stuff in that space behind the mechanical filter or you'll run into issues...but I'd suggest a little baggy (a nylon or some type of mesh) of ceramic bio-media etc. to put back there. OR what size tank is this because that is a pretty small filter? The next size up in any brand will usually have two seperate areas specifically for mechanical vs bio. Might be worth springing for the larger filter.