Aragonite Substrate ~ ASAP

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I was getting ready to put my aragonite substrate into my tanks, and I started to rinse it out because it says to rinse off the dust. When I added water to the bucket the water immediately turned dark brown. I rinsed it a couple of times and the more I rinsed it, the darker the water became. Should I add the aragonite to the tank, or should I continue to rinse it until the water runs clear???? Is the dark stuff good for the tank, and will it settle on the bottom if I add it???

Oct 21, 2005
saskatoon sk
aragonite works great for fish that need water hardend like african cichlids you wan pretty africans use aragonite also if you don't need to harden your water using aragonite might not be the best play sand works great for most tropical fish and it is dirty cheap

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Ok, we rinsed it until it was pretty clear, and kept mixing it around in the bucket. We just added it to the tank and it is dark brown again. Will the dark stuff settle, or should I do a water change right now? I just added bio-spira too, so I don't want to lose that and my gobies are waiting to go in. I got 9 bumblebee gobies today because the lfs actually had some and they are very hard to find.