Are Ants ok?

dana307

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Massachusetts
dunno. interesting question. guess they would eat them in the wild but the question is what if they don't eat it right away and it manages to climb out? Have to be careful with crickets the same way...... they can climb out and away!

Feb 22, 2003
Rhode island...on a island
i think its ok but yes there is a chance its going to get out and abut your hole house but if you stay there and watch the fish eat it i think its ok i would not think ants are very dangerous but then again im not a pro when it comes to ants or anything but i doubt it would harm your fish but you never know

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Mine ate a spider who fell in the tank...they haven't died yet so I'm assuming it would be fine :) BUT just be careful that you haven't sprayed pesticides recently or anything...I would be scared that something the insect ate would harm the fish who eats it.

May 19, 2003
Visit site
I don't think ants are strong enough to survive the pesticide in the first place.

I'm assuming if you catch an alive ant, you'd be fine. A dead one, and yes, it very well could have died from chemicals and be poisoned...

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Be careful. Ants are wingless relatives of wasps, and also carry a venom with which to defend themselves, aka formic acid. It is usually not avised to feed any animal, reptile or fish, ants, due to their unknown ability to digest formic acid. It does make some animals sick.
~~Colesea