Are any of you familiar with Odyssea brand aquariums?

Jan 17, 2007
i'm looking into buying a 10-15 gallon aquaium. at first, i was looking for a fish store that has a Eclipse System 12 Aquarium for a low price and than i came across one local fish store that doesn't sell Eclipse System 12 Aquariums but they sell another brand of aquarium...the Odyssea brand. like the Eclipse aquariums...the Odyssea brand aquariums also have a built in filter and light in the hood and it's a lot cheaper than the Eclipse aquariums. from what i can see, the only difference between the Odyssea aquarium and the Eclipse arquarium is that the Odyssea aquarium doesn't have a bio-wheel in its filter. i want to by the Odyssea aquarium because it's cheaper but i've never heard of the brand before. are anyone of you familiar with the Odyssea brand? is it a good brand? is its filtration system good? should i buy it? or should i avoid that brand at all cause?

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
One thing to consider, what are the respective costs for replacement filters, bulbs etc. The Eclipse may cost more, but the "parts" are readily available at many petstores, hence probably more competetive pricing, just a thought. I have heard of the other manufacturer you mentioned, however I've no experiences with them.

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I actually have 2 products by Odyssea. The first I got a while back, maybe 3 years ago. Its like the eclipse you mentioned, full setup. Except back then I think they called it JEBO (they may be of the same companty). It was a 5 gallon with a sponge filter and 1.6 WPG. I'm still using it today.

The other I just purchase a few months ago for my 10 G. It is a hood and lighting fixture (15 W). It's very similar to the perfecto hoods. I got it for about $30. It works and I'm not complaining.

I think the situation here though (like Idunnowhy mention) is product quality and backing. If the Odyssea should break or have a malfunction, it'll be hard to replace any of the parts (but yes, they are sold). Sometimes, the plastic looks really cheap too. The eclipse system is much nicer and I think they're made of acrylic.

Speaking of price, some of the eclipse systems do go on sale. If you look around, I'll bet you'll find a decent price only a few dollars higher than the Odyssea system.

Basically, think about the quality of the product, the backing, and the price. And think about what better suits your needs.

Hope that helps.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd ask the store what its policy is if there's a problem with the tank. Can it get you replacement parts?

The problem with all-in-one tanks is if they break, you can be stuck with something unfixable, and the whole tank has to be refitted with other equipment. Eclipse parts are easy to find online or in larger stores, but it's really hard to find any service/support/parts for Odyssea/Jebo. You won't even be able to find a manual online for most of the products from that manufacturer.

I have a Jebo tank that has worked well for about three years, but my Odyssea light fixture broke after 18 months, and became a $100 piece of junk.