are bettas always meanies

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
To other fish, certain kinds, yes but most no. A betta can be put in a community with types of fish but not with its own kind. That is when they are mean. To be mean, it really depends on the fish itself.

well, they werent meant to be so pretty when they started off on this earth, they were dull colored fish with bodies much diff than ones today, but now they have been bred and geneticly produced like a guppy to get pretty colors, but keep in mind their original normal name, the Siamese FIGHTING Fish, thus there bad temper, but they do good in community tanks, mine i s in a 29 gal with 14 neons and a dwarf gourami

BettaLove

Large Fish
Jan 19, 2006
Ha, ha! That is why I like them! I do have to say, my son had a crowntail and he was very sweet. But that is the only sweet male I have seen. Some of the females are nice though.

Ariaanna

Small Fish
May 17, 2006
It seems to me some of the most beautiful things in this world are the meanest.
Bettas, lionfish, cobras, the tiny blue octopi that can kill people in minutes (can't think of what kind it is), panthers, parrots (just because they're not hunters doesn't mean they're not mean!), and Blondes, just to name a few ;)

But (except for the octopi) we've found to socialize all of these things and make them comfortable, and even friendly with us. Just because they realize they're competition for each other doesn't mean they're mean. They just like being the center of attention for everyone all the time, and anybody else claiming attention that is justly theirs just has to go away. :)

Sep 16, 2005
BettaLove said:
Some of the females are nice though.
you haven't come across too many spunky females, have you? :D

every little girl i've kept has been hilariously sassy. never violent towards the other fish, but they flare at EVERYTHING... including food that gets dropped in the tank, and they definitely dish out a series of well-deserved nips to keep the tankmates in line.

BettaLove

Large Fish
Jan 19, 2006
geekrockgirl85 said:
you haven't come across too many spunky females, have you? :D

every little girl i've kept has been hilariously sassy. never violent towards the other fish, but they flare at EVERYTHING... including food that gets dropped in the tank, and they definitely dish out a series of well-deserved nips to keep the tankmates in line.
Oh, I didn't say females weren't sassy! They are a trip! But they are not mean to other fish like the males are.

jjhabe

Medium Fish
Jan 9, 2006
Portland, OR
I have three, and not one is mean. I keep one with neon green tetras and ottos, one with two adfs and one with three long finned blue danios. They're just fiesty and they like to show off. :-D