Are my zebra danios just being hyperactive, or is sometihng wrong?

Aug 3, 2007
I have just started cycling my tank yesterday with 3 zebra danios. The past few hours they were loaded with energy. I know this might be just be being worried because I haven't gotten a test kit to test for ammonia. But is being overly active for zebra danios normail, or can it be a sign of ammonia poisoning. And if it is normal, are there other behaviors of high ammonia I can look for while I get ym test kit, whcih I will get by this afternoon. Thanks for your time.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I would definitely recommend getting those test kits ASAP (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate). Partial water changes are going to probably be a daily thing once the ammonia starts to rise. Read those stickies.

BUT, I noticed when I bought zebra danios, they are much more active and fast (almost spastic) moving than my other fish ever were. And my parameters were fine, so, I think it's normal for them.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I forgot to touch on the second part of your question...signs of ammonia poisoning: gasping at surface of water, red gills, lethargy, decreased appetite, laying on bottom of tank. As long as you keep the ammonia below 1 ppm (with partial water changes) during the cycle, they should be OK. You can get more info re nitrites and nitrates from the stickies, or missfishy's site.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2007
Thank you for your response. I fed them this morning and they seemed to eat a lot of fish food. Once they started spitting out the tiny servings of food, I stopped. I am examining them closely and I am not noticing any of the sings that people have suggested to be signs of ammonia poisoning. I am actually leaving now to PetCo and get my test kit. I also bought ammonia tablets that are supposed to kill the ammonia. Does anyone recommend these for ammonia too high that 1 water change can't control?

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I personally think anything you can buy in a store that's supposed to help with ammonia, is a waste of money, and I think many on this site would agree. There shouldn't be any reason why good ole partial water changes shouldn't work just fine.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I've actually heard those tablets can interfere with your cycle, but I've never used them myself. A partial water change and regular testing every other day should do just fine.

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I just finished a fish-in-cycle so my journal might help you out a bit..

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/freshwater-general-discussion/47895-20-gal-beginner-journal.html

if you can do water changes everyday your fish should survive... I started my cycle with 6 platies (too many but the LFS miscounted when filling the bag) but we only lost 1 fish during the cycle and thats when we went away for 3 days and couldn't do the water changes.

do get your test kits though because if your ammonia gets really high you can try PRIME water conditioner as it makes the ammonia in your tank none toxic and does not affect your cycle..

good luck keep us posted

Aug 3, 2007
28 hours have passed since my fish have arrived. I added a goldfish to my tank. I have tested and found the ammonia in my water to be .5. I did a 20 percent water change and refilled with treated water. The ammonia level is still the same. I will test tomorrow for change. The nitrite level is 0 percent, and the pH is a solid 7.4, which I take as good news.

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
.5 is good for a new tank. As long as you keep it under 1ppm you're doing fine. Just do daily water changes and be patient. Your tank will start to grow the bacteria to break down ammonia eventually. Then you'll have to worry about the Nitrite levels as they will begin to rise and and they are also toxic. Be patient though your tank will cycle... they all do

Aug 3, 2007
I have absolutely no idea of the fish I am going to put in the 10g tank once it's done cycling. People I know have had goldfish in freshwater tanks and have not noticed any signs of stress. The 3 zebra danios are acting fine and I don't see any signs of disease.

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
What punkrockfish means is that goldfish prefer cold water and the danios require tropical temps.. 75-82 degrees... use the 'profiles' section on this website to research more about the fish you tend to keep.