Are reef supplements really necessary and if so what kind?

arlong1

Small Fish
Jul 4, 2007
Are supplements (calcium,iodine, phytoplankton, etc.) really necessary in maintaing a healthy reef aquarium or are they naturally there under good conditions. If so, can you list some of the ones you use since there are so many kinds. Thank you.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Some aquarists say that if you can't test for it, don't add it.

You may need to supplement calcium and magnesium if you have a lot of stony corals and water changes aren't replenishing them. I wouldn't really call either a "supplement" but more of a water parameter adjustment.

Not many people use iodine these days, as far as I know.

Phytoplankton falls more in the category of food than a supplement. It can help increase pod populations, but of course, will cause some pollution if it's not being eaten.

A lot of people add no "supplements" and have a perfectly healthy reef tank.

In a FOWLR tank, you probably won't need to add anything at all.

As you start to research corals, you'll find about their individual needs for food and light.

I personally stay away from any "magic potions" that are supposed to solve one problem or another, such as slime removers, "health" additives, etc. I feel that the less I add of unknown substances, the better.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Lotus is makes a great point. and dont spend your money on "magic potions".

all u really need is calcium if u have a lot of coral.
if u know for a fact that your coral needs special additives then go for it.

hey Lotus does zooplex increase pod population too?

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
guess i'll try to get smaller size foods...

anyways the only time i see anything eat pods is my clowns (rarely now since my pod population just died...) and the string like worms thats everywhere....hope they die out soon =p

ricordeas eat pods right? and frogspawns?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
not that im a aware of they dont eat pods.. my ric eats mysis sometimes if it lands on it, ive never seen frogspawn eat anything.. funny thing you say stuffs to big for pods b/c i actually see them carring around mysis/pellets when it hits the sand.. if they weren't so small i would take a pic, its quite funny.. like a ant carrying around a pea lol

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
only thing i add is b-ionic and thats just to keep my calcium/alkilinity in check ;) ive never added iodine or anything like that..oh yea i also add live photoplankton... as far as suppliments i agree with lotus if you cant test for it u prolly shouldnt add it to yur tank