are shrimp pellots poisonous to humans?

christinap

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2007
Are the freeze dried shrimp poisonous? It has no hazards on the bottle.

Don't laugh, I have a 2 year old that gets into EVERYTHING!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Other than the potential for an allergic reaction, I wouldn't think so. I've fed these to tiny platy fry with no ill effects. I'd imagine that a human's system would be able to handle any toxicity (if indeed there was any) better than a platy fry...even a 2 year-old, yes. ;)

If you're worried about the possibility of an allergic reaction and want to really be on the safe side, I'd maybe contact the company to find out exactly what is in them and/or definitely take them to your doctor and see what he/she says.

Personally I don't see the need for such pre-cautionary measures, but then again, I don't have kids to look out for either (just a spoilt pug and cat!......and wife).

BV ;)

Last edited:

christinap

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2007
ok, I just wanted to make sure because I just b ought the dried shrimp and I check everything out very carefully before I bring it in my house. There's some water conditioners I didn't buy because it said call poison control if ingested. So, got the cheaper one with no warnings.

Thanks

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
well, i'm pretty sure if glue can't harm them...pellets won't. I've seen kids eat funny things and live. The only thing sith that would be the allergic reaction, but if they can eat shellfish/seafood, they'll be fine :)

Strider

Small Fish
May 27, 2005
christinap said:
Are the freeze dried shrimp poisonous? It has no hazards on the bottle.

Don't laugh, I have a 2 year old that gets into EVERYTHING!
LOL....been there.

Last year my two 1/2 year old daughter somehow climbed on a small chair and took both my can of flakes and a can of shrimp pellets and dumped them both into my tank when my wife was not looking. She then put them back and my wife did not notice till a half hour later.

The water was muddy brown and impossible to see through.....man that sucked. :(

Only lost two of the 12 fish that were in there which is not bad considering I had to tear the tank down.

I now keep it locked in a cabinet with all my other aquarium stuff.

Fishywishy

Large Fish
Sep 19, 2006
my daughter took a bite of my underarm deoderant when she was two....... called the poison center and they didn't feel it was enough to harm her.......so I think freeze dried shrimp would be okay. besides just about every kid I know has tried dog bisquits or cat food...shrimp has got to way better for them then what's in dog food

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
........im guessing im gonna be the first to say that i have eaten one my of shrimp pellets by accident........we were having rice and i just fed my corys and well a couple were on my sleeves or somethin and it got in the rice and i ditn notice the difference

if you are wonderng they are crunchy and taste a little bit like dirt.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Yeah, likely story. :rolleyes:
Admit it...you ate it on purpose!

Don't worry, I always (well, almost always ;) ) sample dog/cat food/treats prior to giving it to them. Think of it as me being the guinea pig to make sure it's 'edible.' Lol...so far I haven't keeled over from it yet! (but seriously, those 'Pupperoni' sticks smell so damn good...I just had to try it myself---Slim Jim's are waaay better though)

BV :p

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
LMAO *laughingc
I know...it's crazy! They smell better than the 'human pepperoni sticks' (well, no 'human' in the ingredients, per se...:rolleyes: ), but don't taste nearly as good. :p

BV