Are these two many bubbles?

Jun 2, 2008
This is my 30 gallon tropical fish tank. (Ignore my spelling of fish and my bad knowledge of the name of some of my fish)

2 Gouramis
1 Servuem
1 Fat Redish Fish
1 Small Silver Shark Fish
1 round looking fish with two fins
2 Small Scavenger Catfish

This a video of my tank and how many bubbles there floating around and coming out are. There are alot, Sometimes they can block my viewing quality but by very little. Is this good for my fish? I mean, Its not bothering me. I just figure its alot of air and its healthy for them. I've had the fish tank established for a week, the first 3 lines of fish have been in since day 2 (within 24 hours though) the rest have been in since day 4, Fish seem fine. Healthy. My first tank and everything seems okay but, I want to make sure.

Also, Here are some readings from two days ago ( I do reading every other day)

PH- 6.8
Amonia- 0.25 PPM
Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- Dont have test kit

I had some cloudyness but it has gotten alot better over the past two days so things might have balanced out more.

What do you think?
Fishtank Update

chefrossco

Small Fish
May 30, 2008
suffolk england
hi. personally i think you need to tone the whole bubble think down, it does seem a little excessive how old are he fish , the g,mai i think i saw was gold? if it was they do get pretty big 6-7" and these are labynth fish and need slower more relaxed water as for the other fish the shark too will get quite large and i think i saw a black widow tetra ?? not sure so you might need to get bigger tank in which case you should be ok with your bubble system

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ok 2 things.

Yes thats too many bubbles. I would turn it down some. You don't want the bubbles to stay on the surface for very long.

The current way that your tank is stocked is fine inhabitably; however, the 'silver shark' that you have is called a Bala Shark. They grow to about a foot long. The Severum that you have will get 6-8 inches long. And each Gourami that you have will get at least 6 inches long. Your tank is way too small to accommodate these fish for very long. I highly reccomend upgrading to at least a 55G or getting rid of a few of these larger fish.

Jun 2, 2008
I absolutly love my Servem and my two Gouramis and the red fish, The rest are lower priority (Alteough I love them all) if the time comes

Do you think my tank could hold

1 Gold Servem
2 Gouramis
1 Red Something Fish (Gets big too)
and some catfish?

I dont know how to lower the bubble rate

Last edited:

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
I can't view the video here, I'm at school... But if it's done with an air pump, my reccomendation is get a smaller air pump.

I've got a 20 gal, with a bubble wall, I didn't want it to bubble too much so I used an old air pump from a 1 gal starter kit. It doesn't make MANY bubbles, but enough.

nrstype

Medium Fish
May 5, 2008
Your bubble want is putting out a ton of MICRO bubbles, that are so small and light, they get swooped up in the water column. You do NOT need to turn it down, there is a super simple fix.....

.....Bury the bubble wand about an inch or two, under the gravel, this will condense the micro bubbles, to a larger sized bubble output, since they need to gather and converge, to break through the gravel. AND .. it serves to hide the bubble wand also, for a more attractive looking aquarium.

I use this same method, burying the wand, without reducing the airflow, will give you an attractive bubble wall, and water surface air~iation, with OUT being so squirrelly on the micro bubbles floating all over the place. (Not to mention the spray those bubbles can put out when they burst at the surface.)

Have a great day!

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Those bubbles hurt nothing really. They can drive off co2 and increase the PH a bit (maybe). If you like the look and your fish don't mind keep it that way. If you have a closed cover it helps by bring fresh air between the glass and water surface for proper gas exchange. This insures you don't have stagnant air up there. It may increase algae growth on the cover if its blasting out and making water splash onto it. It just boils down to your opinion and if your fish mind it.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; The biggest problems with lots of bubbles have not been related to the fish. I have had drip leaks when the spray condenses on tubing or some such and migrates out of the tank. Also the mist will tend to find its way into light fixtures and sometimes heaters if the cover is not tight. This has caused corrision in lights and heaters for me and tends to shorten the life of bulbs. An issue of lesser degree, it can lead to buildup of a mineral like scale around the top of a tank where the spray hits and evaporates. This is unsightly but not a real problem.

I like vigorous air bubbles and have them in my tanks. The trick is to find a way to make the tank cover tight and thus keep the spray away from areas where it causes problems. This is not all that difficult to do. The newer hoods and covers are fairly tight as they are.

Last edited: