are they compatiable?

my 250g arrived today with the filter decor and all that other good stuff.so when its time to add fish i want them to get along.so my first question is,has anyone ever kept redtail sharks and clown loaches together?people have told me that red tail sharks and clown loaches can get as long as a foot and others said both only get to be 6".which is it?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Clown loaches can get to a foot long, red tail sharks only get to 6". The sharks are also very aggressive as they mature, and one would need to be the only bottom feeder in a 20g. In a very large tank, they would probably be okay together, but a 20g isn't room for clown loaches anyways. If you get a redtailled shark, you'll have a semi-aggressive aquarium started, so keep that in mind as you're planning the rest of the fish.

Edit, wow, I can't read, I thought that said 20g. In a 250g, I don't think you'd have a problem with both. You might want to either add the clowns first, or make sure they are larger than the shark, or both. The clowns grow very slowly, and need to be in groups of at least 3. I would still stick with only 1 shark, but in that large a tank you might be able to get away with 2. Make sure to have lots of caves around for them to hide in.

Last edited:
its my 250g tank tha im putting them in.i just got it today so it will be a while before i do anything.and just out of curiosity,has anyone found nice branch or piece of wood outside and put it in there tank.i have one i really like and boiled it in hot water.will it give my tank a dif water color.if so can i soak it in a bucket of water like people have told me?how long should i keep it in the bucket if i can keep it?

Dragon

Small Fish
Mar 12, 2006
Tennessee
I seen red-tail shark and had to reply to this one! I used to have a 30 gallon freshwater tank, and my little red-tail shark (Flit) was ruler of the land. He had "his" plastic dinosaur that none of the other fish could come near without being chased away. Flit had A LOT of personality. =)

Good luck with your tank! =)

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
I love my redtail shark. She has a little hollow tree stump thats her territory, so God help the fish that swim in there when she's around! lol.. or even if she's not in there and catches one in there...its fun to watch though. She dont hurt the other fish, she just chases them away

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Humm, I'm not sure if I like that. I have heard Clown Loaches are pretty sensitive and durring the cycle your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates will go nuts. I cycle with 'dime-a-dozen" fish like Zebra Dianos or do fishless cycle... Can you get your hands on some Bio Spira (sp?) It would help keep alot of stress off of the clown loaches. Do you have a test kit?