Are Zebra Danios Fin Nippers?

Jan 7, 2003
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I have a 55 gallon tank with:

6 Zebra Danios
11 Tiger barbs (3 grn, 3 albino, 5 tiger)
5 Yellow Labs
4 Pseudotropheus Salousi's

My question is:

Most of my Zebra Danios have pieces missing from
their tails after being in there a week. Is this from the
other Zebra Danios or my other fish? Are Zebra Danios aggressive toward each other? I have never seen any of my other fish pick on or chase the Zebra Danios but it seems like the Danios are constantly chasing each other and biting each other.

No, my Cichlids do not bother the Zebra Danios at all and the Danios dont bother the Cichlids either.

Should I move the Danios to another tank and see what happens?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
:)

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
yea, disease is a fact to be looked at, i agree,,, with the number of barbs in that tank, they should all basicaly stay in their own selective groups, tiger barbs are like that.

Oct 22, 2002
Irvine, CA
I have small tiger barbs and zebra danios...and between the two "gangs" of fish, the danios actually chase the barbs, and the barbs run from the danios...(regular striped danios)...the barbs are more nippy towards each other, and chase and nip anything besides danios and corys (i've had to evacuate an angelfish and a betta from getting mauled by those piranna like barbs.)

bobrob

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Belfast, Northern Ireland
They can be. I had 2 and one wouldnt stop nipping the other but then I got another one a they have not been doing it as much. It probably is the danio's nipping eachother. It's basically just for fun when theyre chasing eachother but it's a typical case of not knowing your own strength taken out of context.

Jul 20, 2010
Nipping Zebra Danios

I have 2 Zebra Danio and they will fin nip each other every once and awhile.
If you have less that 6 danios they will usually nip. The more danios you have the "calmer" they will be. I originally had 3 in a 10g tank to cycle, then added 3 more which drastically changed their jumpy, nippy behavior. Now they are all calm and only dart across the tank every so often. Check them out if you like, my fish tank can be found here.

STEPHENCARR.NET Fish Tank Web Cam, Fish Cam, Fish Tank Web Camera Stephen Carr, Live Fish Tank Aquarium Camera, Live fish tank web cam aquarium, fresh water aquarium cam

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
With your tank stock there is no telling who is doing the nipping. It could very well be the Tiger Barbs or the Cichlids. IMO your tank stock isnt the greatest and that may be the problem. If I had to guess I would say the Tiger Barbs as well but there really is no telling

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Tiger Barbs...... Nippers they are...arrrrgghhhh matey.

Yes I did type this with a pirate's accent me heartys...