arowana question??

Mar 25, 2005
I just got a arowana for my empty 55 gallon and he seems not to eat that much, the first day i got him i did not feed him so he could get settled, then the second day i gave him four crickets and he only ate two but it took him along time to eat them they sat at the water surface probly around five min befor he even paid any attion to them. And the second day he hasnt eatin at all, i gave him three crickets he wont eat them. By the way the tank has been setup for about five weeks so im sure its cycled by now. But does anyone have any advice on feeding an arowana???plz help :confused:

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
I'm going to assume your Aro is fairly small. They don't need to eat a lot when small. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Two crickets every other day would be good. You might try to get him to eat a cichlid pellet as a staple food. Try Hikari brand "Bio Gold." It may reject them at first, but if it gets hungry enough, it may accept them. This could help you in the long term by providing your fish with a staple food. Frozen blood worms is also a good food to feed. Live foods are best ideally, but are expensive. Just wait until that fish gets large...

Fish can go long periods of time without food, so if you have problems with the Aro not eating much, I wouldn't be concerned. As long as they will eat something, you're ok.

zombiegrrll

Medium Fish
Apr 26, 2005
nj usa
i have one about 6 inches he refuses crickets and pellets but he likes freeze dried baby shrimp, freeze dried krill, wax worms live, eats a rosey minows here and there, bloodworms frozen , picky eater, .