Arrow crab

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I'd like to offer my recommendations regarding owning an Arrow crab to anyone who isn't creeped out by it's spidery look. Get one! Mine has so much personality. When it's feeding time he will run out of whatever cove he is in and attempts to catch bits of food as the float by (he isn't very successful). After he's had his fill he saves a piece of food in each claw, and carries it around the tank for later. Also, when you move close to the tank to look at him he'll raise up his legs as if to push you away. An awesome addition, AND he feeds on my brown algae. They do eat tubeworms and bristleworms which may or may not be a good thing.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
lol no...actually normal spiders are fine. Ones that live underwater and are the size of my fist are a different story! lol

Granted, I live in Colorado and we dont get very big spiders here...maybe tarantulas down in the four corners area...but not up here. Worst thing I have to deal with is black widows or brown recluses....but they're not big. lol Its the size and where they are that makes the creepy factor. ;)

Jul 29, 2005
LOL. Well at least underwater they are somewhat contained. My Arrow is quite small at the moment (but it's still bigger than any spider I've seen!!).

Here in California it's very much the same. Just Brown Recluses and Black Widows, but being originally from England where horrific childhood stories of deadly black widows ares spun (no pun), I am transfixed every time I see one.

Wow - Just looked them up on google, interesting little creatures!
I don't have a problem with spiders.. unless there BIG and in my room! lol - otherwise, fine :) Oh - and if their not on the ceiling right above my bed *shudders* i swear they do that on purpose! lol

- What size tank is the lil arrow crab in? :)

(When i go onto saltwater, i'd be really interesting in purchasing one.. time for more research! lol)

Are they okay with other fish? :D

Jul 29, 2005
Hey Chazwick,
They pose no problems to other fish (at least none that I'm aware of) and they're also reef safe (despite what my LFS says).

My Arrow is 2-3 inches across and is in my 90G tall. I believe they don't need too much room and so they could survive quite happily in anything above a 20 gallon I guess. Anything less might be a bit too small as they do grow quite large.

Please correct me anyone, if I am wrong with any of my info. *twirlysmi

Jul 29, 2005
300G!! That's huge...you could go swimming in it. LOL That'll certainly be big enough for an Arrow, even two.
If your aunt has it setup as a marine tank right now, she could be a great resource to learn from before you dive in yourself, so to speak.

Let me just add that extra large Arrow crabs MIGHT attack small, slow moving fish.

Last edited:

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
Ive have heard arrow crabs eat fish, tube worms like feather dusters, and other things. Not a good reef canidate. Check Reefcentral.com in the nano forums. Theres a thread there about crabs and such. I would look into it.

Jul 29, 2005
...2 months later.
After 3 sheds, the once cute and slightly spidery Arrow crab which I whole heartedly recommended, has turned into a terrifying, 8 legged giant. He's very big (8 - 12 inches) and quite unsettling. He stalks around as if he is casting for a part in the War of the Worlds Movie. The comments he used to recieve such as "Oh he's cool" and "Oh Wow" have been replaced with "Oh Jesus!" and "What the hell is that?".

Arrow Crabs. They get big, very quickly.
Recommendation rebuked.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
ive found them at the beach before! they were int he sea weed in the tide pools. they were coll looking. if i had a nig tank i would get one. i have also found a big red squid before too. it was on coranado island( about 2 feet long)