Attack of the Red slime algae

Jul 17, 2011
We are having a terrible time with Red Slime Algae. We have a phosphate level of 0, , nitrates are good. Lights are on 10 hours a day, I have very good circulation in the tank (75 gal). We've been trying to suck out as much as we can on a weekly basis but it keeps growing back. We do monthly water changes of at least 20 gal. During the weekly suckings we replace 5 gal. There are windows in the room which are providing light when the tank lights are off. I'd like to brush it off all the LR, but have been told that spreads it. What can I do?

75 gal tank
6 green cromies
2 flame gobies
1 fox face Rabbit fish
1 spotted cardinal
1 clown
15 turbo snails
4 large snails
10 hermits (blue & black legged)
6 green emeralds
2 cleaner shrimp

Sean

New Fish
Jul 17, 2011
I can attest to clemicleans red slime remover. It does wonders in fish-only systems, but I don't know how it does with inverts. Hour this helps :)

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
The only way I've found to get rid of it was a total blackout. When Hurricane Ike knocked our power out for a few days my tank was in darkness. Up until then I was having a problem but after that incident it was gone.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
This is what works for me. http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/sal...a-powerful-nitrate-phosphate-remover-diy.html . Virtually no algae in about 4-5 weeks. I have been into salt for about two decades and have spent thousands of dollars on skimmers, filters, ect. Never in my life would I have expected this kind of filter to work. I have know about them for about 2 years and thought they were horse hockey. Well I tried one, now I have two and am working on building a third. These work for me, they make my salt keeping easier then my freshwater now!!!! Even if you do not decide to use one its very good reading.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Try bumping your water changes up to every 2 weeks until you get it under control. Id cut the lights down to 6 hours a day as well. IME the lights out for 3 days worked but unless your fix what caused it in the first place Itll just come back in a few weeks. Also the lights out for 3 days, when I turned the lights on on the 4th day I shocked a few Acro's and they were totally gone within 24 hrs. so be carful with that. For me I battled it for almost a full year before figuring out my problem! Its was TDS coming in from my topoff water. I had 2 of the lines on my R/O unit mixed up.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Also when all else fails, Ive use Dr G's Red Slime remover with success. Just remember if you dont fix what cause it in the first place your fix will only be temporary