AUGHH!! WATTAGE!!!

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
hi all,
i have an eclipse 2 filtration and lighting setup. I love it, but as usual, there is one problem. The only size (18 inches) that fits is a 15 watt bulb. It is set-up on my slightly planted 20 gallon (high) and that wattage just doesnt seem to do the job. Jumpfreak suggested that i hard-line another 15 watt, but that sounds a little risky. Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused: I already emailed the marineland (eclipse) hq, but i figured you guy would answer faster (and less technical) please help me, any suggestions are welcome!
(sorry i have a bad habit of using parenthesis):p

bighit22 said:
hi all,
i have an eclipse 2 filtration and lighting setup. I love it, but as usual, there is one problem. The only size (18 inches) that fits is a 15 watt bulb. It is set-up on my slightly planted 20 gallon (high) and that wattage just doesnt seem to do the job. Jumpfreak suggested that i hard-line another 15 watt, but that sounds a little risky. Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused: I already emailed the marineland (eclipse) hq, but i figured you guy would answer faster (and less technical) please help me, any suggestions are welcome!
(sorry i have a bad habit of using parenthesis):p
(Can you not) just add another (lighting fixture)?

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
if you want cheap then go to the hardware and buy a drop light with compact flourescents in it. you can get a 18 watt for about 20 and a 26 for 25. just take out the insides of it and retro it into the hood. i did that for my 3 gallon ecplise and for my 5 gallon

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
SkwidsLair said:
(Can you not) just add another (lighting fixture)?
Hi SkwidsLair - the Eclipse II hood is an all-in-one lighting and filtration unit, so there isn't really room for adding another fixture.

Hi Jumpfreak, I think I read somewhere (can't remember where) about someone attaching another 18" fluorescent bulb to the filter 'flap', with an external ballast - so there's a third bulb between the light 'flap' and the filter bed...providing a total of 45 watts. I've been thinking about this, but not confident about my electrical skills. Also, there's the issue of covering it to make sure water doesn't splash up (from the water surface) or over (from the filter bed). Hhmmm.

There's also the option of tearing out the stock lighting in the light 'flap' and putting in a retrofit kit, but I don't know if it's worth it to go from 30watts (stock) to 32watts (the DFS linked retrofit kit).

I think the 55watt kit from AHSupply might fit though: http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm You could email them and ask, as they're pretty good about answering questions.

Good luck, I'd like to see whatever you come up with. :)

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
lotus, native fish boy, and noncentric. Those are all good ideas. Lotus, i may just have to try yours, it seems fairly reasonable. Its not en expensive hobby if you just like fish. I just like them, im not trying to impress anyone. Im not going to go out of my way to do something unnecessary.

well its not a cheap hobby, i was saying expensive to due water changes, chemicals, price of fish, the tank itself, and maintenance, its expensive either way. Unless of course water changes arent being done.
You say your not going out of your way to do something uneccesary, but at the same time your going with 50 dollar retrofit, so you can grow a couple low light plants, and if you just liked fish then why do you have 3 tanks?

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Hi BigHit, not trying to knock the DFS retrofit kit - but doesn't this kit mean taking out the Eclipse stock lighting and replacing with the retrofit kit lighting? If so, then you'd only be going from 30-watts to 32-watts. Doesn't seem it's worth $50+ to get just 2 extra watts.

If the retrofit kit was in addition to the Eclipse stock lighting (for a total of 62-watts) then that would be different...

:)

im not exactly sure, but i think bighits light has only one bulb, so the retrofit would be worth it
thats what i can remember it like, only had one, but bighit, do you know the dimensions of your tank? You may have an eclipse 1 hood, or does it say?It could be a 15 or an 18 high tank, since when we got it from ryans dad he wasnt sure either and we never got the dimensions down and actually calc. the gallonage, the eclipse 1 fits those tanks

Last edited:

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
jumpfreak26 said:
im not exactly sure, but i think bighits light has only one bulb, so the retrofit would be worth it
Oh, odd - I thought the Eclipse II hoods had 2 x 15 watts. That's how mine is. Maybe there was a different version that bighit has. If that's the case, then I guess it could be worthwhile.

I know the Eclipse I hood system comes in two versions, one with a single light strip and one with a double strip light.

Mar 6, 2006
I would go with the AHSupply retro kit that noncentric pointed out. Im looking at teir 10 gal kit. Two things to consider, that kit comes with a reflector which should reduce the ammount of light lost, also, by using power compacts you are not only uping the wattage but the intensity as well i think which counts for a lot with plants. Also be sure to get bulbs with the proper Kelvin rating (4000-6000 for plants i think) and color spectrum (lots of blues and reds). This is what i've picked up from research, idk if anyone can back me up?

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
afromage5000 said:
Also be sure to get bulbs with the proper Kelvin rating (4000-6000 for plants i think) and color spectrum (lots of blues and reds). This is what i've picked up from research, idk if anyone can back me up?
Pretty much any Kelvin over 5500K is good for plants. Many people go with 6700K, I have 8500K, others use 10000K - depends on what "look" you want, but I'm pretty sure they're all good for plant growth.

I've heard great things about AHSupply. I had a good experience with them as I emailed them questions and they were very prompt and thorough with writing back and giving advice.

Good luck!

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
sorry to burst your advice bubble, but for now ive settled on a life-glo 2 from petsmart. Its now the most "sunniest" but it really livened up my tank. I might try one of your suggestions but i only have 20 bucks right now, so.....we shall see
THANK YOU ALL!