Auto Top Off

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay this may seem trivial but what method should one use as an auto top off without a sump? Could you use an auto doser run into a 5g water jug and could this drip into the main tank. Are those auto dosing pumps strong enough to move water from beneath the tank into the main display. I would like to try something like this and mix in calcium etc into the water so that it goes in an auto top off? I don't have room to put anything above the tank......just curious how others do this????

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I think that is what I mean. I just wonder what the schematics of this would be. I was looking at the jbj ato and wondered what it would take to set this up.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Just make sure the portion of tubing that releases water into the tank is NOT submerged. If it is, when the pump turns off, the water will be siphoned back into your resevoir, and it could overflow.

Good Luck

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
good point one I hadn't thought of yet. I would think that you would want it to slowly drip into the tank not flow as water evaporates pretty slowly. Though I have been adding about a gallon a day to my 75 and about 1/2 g a day to my 20.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You can setup a Tunze or Aqua Medic Auto topup to run to the main display. I recommend the Tunze as I have one. They are not insanely expensive. Beware running Kalk calcium thro' a pump rather than dripping as it tends to jam the pumps up by precipitatiing CaCO3.
Most of the auto doser or peri pumps can deal with quite a lot of head.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
maybe I would just use it as a top off and continue to add ca by itself. I have been using Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium but it is expensive. I was trying to figure out a less expensive method......and I don't have a sump or room for a CA reactor.