Baby Brittle Star

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I found a tiny white brittle star in my tank yesterday and am wondering where he might have come from. I haven't added any live rock for over 6 months so it is unlikely he came in as a hitch-hiker. I have only ONE large brittle star, not two. Does anyone know if they need a mate to reproduce? Surely he couldn't have mated with my linkia star.

Jul 29, 2005
Thanks Helena (a fellow Brit)*PEACE!*
I didn't find the info I needed on that site but you encouraged me to do a search on yahoo for "starfish reproduction" and I found the answer to my question. Starfish are either male or female and reproduce by releasing gametes into the water in the hope that they wil be fertilized by gametes from the opposite sex.
Sorry for not doing my own legwork sooner:p

Jul 29, 2005
Found another new guy

Thanks dbacks. I hadn't thought of that. I haven't seen the little guy since (and haven't expected too).

I did find another new creature that I'd like to ask about. He looks very parasitic to me so has me a tad worried.

If I can describe it. It looked like some kind of larvae or something. It's about the size of 2 or 3 grains of rice. Pale pink in colour. Both ends taper to a wiggly point, about half the thickness of the body. There was a definate head end which looked like it had tiny legs, or feelers or something. It was able to propel itself through the water with a fast vertical snake-like motion and when it hit the glass it grabbed on and wriggled around.

Does he sound familiar to anyone? Anything to worry about? If he is a parasite then hopefully my cleaner wrasse or skarlet skunk will assasinate him.

I did get pictures but they don't help. Too small, too blurry.