baby dojo loach sick/dying PLEASE HELP! D:

Apr 6, 2009
Florida
my baby golden dojo loach all of a sudden in a matter of 2 days has salt looking secs all over him.
okay so im 99.9% sure thats ich.
i now how easily they get it and now im freaking out cuz i checked my levels a few days ago and they were fine, and i LOVE my dojos.
the baby is now acting dead, floating to the top and not moving, but then sometimes he'll swim back to the bottom, nd right now he just did that and he wedged himsef between two plants so that he can stop moving, but wont float to the top. and when he floats to the top, sometimes he's vertical or hell be horizontal and roll with belly up, and sometimes not belly up.
PLEASE is there ENYTHING i can do to save him?
this is REALLY important to me.

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
I've never kept dojo loaches, but aren't they scale-less fish? How much salt did you add to the tank? I've heard scale-less fish are sensitive to salt... maybe that might explain the erratic behavior. I've never heard of a fish swimming like that due to ich, but that just might be how your fish is responding to the stress...

Sorry I can't offer much help. But I would start reading about how to treat ich on scale-less fish. Maybe other dojo keepers can give you more advice. Hope your fishy friend pulls through.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
It takes quite a few days to treat ich. What do you have the heat set at? How much salt did you add? And, of course, what are your readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

Whatever you do, don't use any meds in addition to the heat/salt. It would be entirely too much stress for the fish.