Baby Guppy in need!!

Jul 28, 2003
Graham, TX
Visit site
Ok, I'm baffled. One of my babies need help, and this one is beyond me.
:confused:

This is a 5 gallon aquarium with only 5 baby guppies (about 1.5 months). It's had it's regular water changes, and the water is testing about average on PH and has very little ammonia, and no nitrites

4 of the guppys seem fine, but the 5th has been floating on his head for the past 2 days. He's alive, but his tail is straight up, even when he swims around (which he will with a bit of encouragement). I continually net him up to see that he's still alive, and he starts swimming again (head down).

He doesn't seem to have any visible marks, spots, bruises, cuts, infections, etc. He's just swimming funny and not eating.

What's wrong with him? What caused it? And what can I do for him and to prevent it happening to the others?

Jul 28, 2003
Graham, TX
Visit site
"Baby Guppy" Update

Thanks for trying to help.

Update:
He died last night.

I netted him up and put him in a fish nursery, and checked on him periodically. Finally decided to put him down, but when I went to get him, he had "exploded." Talk about gross.

Anyway, still haven't figured out what happened... the other 4 still seem very normal.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If there is ANY ammonia in a fry tank, it will slowly kill them. Fry are very sensitive to water conditions and need absolute zero ammonia. Do as many water changes as you can to get those levels down.