Baby mickey mouse platy's

Sep 6, 2009
Detroit
I have 12 baby platy's that are two months old now...getting big and they seem to be happy, hungry all the time. They are currently in a 10 gal and I've read that 4-6 are ok too keep in a 10 gal. How long until they will overcrowd each other? I have a 30 gal w/ other platy's, tiger barbs, and a purple chiclid but I don't want to put them in there too soon and have the chiclid eat them. Thanks

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
well, you are probably fine until they arer full grown or close to it, so I would just wait until they are big enough to not fit in the chilid's mouth, than transfer a few to the 30. I don't have much experience, but I hope I helped!!!!!! :)

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
Now, I don't know if my cichlids are just weird, but they don't usually mess with whatever small fish I put into their tank...? I would say test it with 2 at first and closely watch them...that's what I did with my male guppies in there....except the catfish ate them instead... -.-
Sorry if that wasn't much help =]

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
look at the cichlid's mouth- if the babies are too big to fit, try it. If the babies are too small and they would easily be gulped down- don't. If you're not sure- you could A.) try it with a few fish or B.) wait.

Sep 6, 2009
Detroit
Thanks all...I tried putting one of them in my 6gal w/ my betta and he was able to eat him so i'll wait...they should be ok till they r close to full grown. What a cool experience for a new hobbist...can you say MTS..now time to see if i can interbreed my swordtail w/ on of the platys

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
lol ya apparently just cuz a fry is bigger than the mouth of a fish, it can still be attacked and ripped to shreds. One of my betta females succeeded in attacking a 3/4" swordtail fry and attempted to swallow him alive...obvious failure because the body of the fry was 2x the size of the mouth lol.

Sep 6, 2009
Detroit
I feel ya Newman...an aggresive fish..my chiclid is semi-aggresive but ive fed him worms before as big as the fry and he will carry them around w/ him until he decides to eat. Think I'll let the fry grow up before putting them w/ anything decent size