backgrounds and gravel colors

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I like aquascape backgrounds *that don't show any fish on them*... just plants and rocks. Dark blue or blue gradient backgrounds would be my second choice, and that's what I want to get for my SW tank... it isn't a reef, so all the SW backgrounds with coral pics would look stupid. I have blue gravel or a mix with blue in it in all my tanks except my SW and the 20g I just set up... but for a natural looking tank, I'd prefer dark brown gravel. The 20g has play sand, which looks great.

I have black gravel and bought the background that has black on one side and blue on the other thinking I was going to use the black. But it was too dark, so I switched to the blue. I am probably going to buy a bright bulb for my light and when I do, I will try the black again.

For the tank I am working on starting right now, I am going to mix orange and white gravel, and I don't think I will be using a background because it is going in a corner with white walls.

jjhabe

Medium Fish
Jan 9, 2006
Portland, OR
I've been leaning towards the black background and black gravel because I like the idea of the natural colors coming through. I'd never thought it might be too dark. I've never had backgrounds at all so I don't have any experience. I knew it was a good idea to ask you guys! Matt, I'd love to see pictures because the two that you have are the two I'm trying to decide between!