backgrounds

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I like the black backrounds because they do bring out the colors of the fish really nicely. I've also seen some 3-D natural looking backgrounds that are stunning. Just depends on how much time/money you're willing to spend.

if your into plants you could do a moss wall :D something like this http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/christmasmoss.html or a cork bark background but i hear the corkbark doesn't really have a long life under water and it will deteriorate in a year but it looks really nice in aquariums example-http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19058 if you look at the final product it makes it look like all the plants are right next to a tree trunk :)

Last edited:
The 10G tropical tank that I adopted 6 weeks ago has a home made background. The young girl took some poster board and water color paints and painted a mostly dark blue and green background on the poster board and used it on the tank. It looks nice so I still use it.

If any of ya'll have kids or grand-kids, this would be a good thing for them to put up their art work and you could have them do a new one every few months if you want to change the scenery.

I've been thinking about doing some type of revolving "theme" background to go with the various holidays and then decorate the rest of the tank and stand. I'm going to try it first with a Christmas Tank (instead of a tree.. lol). Has anyone ever lined the outside frame of their tank with the small blinking Christmas lights? I don't know if that would bother the fish or not.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
cute idea lenny....I think someone here once posted a picture of their tank with wrapping paper as the background for Christmas.

One of my tanks has a background...and if I had more time and creative juices I'd make similar backgrounds for the other tanks. I went to hobby lobby and got a piece of stiff plastic (acrylic?) cut to the size of my tank, went home and painted on it with acrylic paints and then sprayed a fixative on it. SO basically the same thing that Lenny was talking about with the construction paper...but a little more durable if you dont want to replace it too often. Construction paper shows when it gets wet etc...but the acrylic paints sprayed with a fixative wont run. (without the fixative I believe it would) I just use doublesided scotchtape to hold it to the back of the tank.