bad chems.

Mar 9, 2009
Culpeper, VA
www.myspace.com
alright so a while ago i filled my 75 gal tank and i realized it was leaking, so i work at a hardware store so i got some silicone type stuff to fix the whole, then i lined it with plastic wrap so there for the water wouldnt hit it, when then i put all my fish back in, a majority of them died, it was really sad for my fiance and i, this was about 5 days ago, i put some new fish in and they seem to be fine, but i also found out that the ph was really high about 7.6 so i lowered that of course and i got an additional filter with an ammonia cleaner, minus i dont have a heater yet, but what do you think killed all my fish, also when i put that silicone type stuff, i used completely new water, not realizing that it got rid of the good bacteria

what do you think it was

They might have died because your tank wasn't cycled yet: Cycling a Tank
The bacteria is not in the water. It's one the walls, in your filter, on decor, and on substrate.

7.6 is not too high. In fact, that is what my pH is. A good rule of thumb is to not mess with your pH. It's a lot easier for fish to adjust to one than to have it constantly move around.

What kind of water do you use? You need to use either RO water, spring water, or use a dechlorinator. Ordinary tap water has chlorine in it that is harmful to your fish.

Btw, when you add fish, you should only add a couple at once, depending on what fish they are.

Oh, welcome to the tank! :D

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
To emphasize what kissyboots said dont mess with the PH abrubt changes in PH can be fatal, altering the PH by .3 in a short time frame can kill them, they will adjust to the PH of your water supply. Think of PH as humidity for us, those of us from a dry climate suffer a bit at first when we go to a high humidity area but we adjust rather quickly, same with your fish.

I recommend Prime as your dechlorinater if your using tap water. Also get rid of the ammonia cleaner, if it removes ammonia completely the good bacteria will have nothing to eat and die so your tank will never properly cycle. Invest in a good water test kit, API master kit is the one alot of us use.

Read thru the stickies in the beginner forum and pay attention to the cycling info.

Welcome to the tank.

Don't get advice from pet store employees. They are only trying to sell you things. I agree with brian, read through the stickies. That should help you out a bunch! :)

Edit: I would stop using the pH adjuster and return the puffer as soon as possible. I don't think it will live long in your current set up. :(

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I dont even worry about my PH, tested it once when planting a tank. Breeding certain types of fish requires certain PH values but that is a whole different issue and not the norm, then you prepare the water before you add it to the tank, etc. etc... 7.6 is fine throw that away or take it back.

I wouldn't worry about the pH. It will settle on it's own. If you really plan on keeping the the puffer, join www.thepufferforum.com and get more information before you plunge into this mess again. :)

She may know what she's talking about, but I sincerely doubt she knew what else was in your tank when she suggested messing with the pH. If you have a single fish that needs a lower pH, then it's fine. But when you have a variety, then it gets complicated.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Leave. It. Alone. :)

The woman needs a certain pH to breed her fish. That is true. You do not, you are first and foremost learning to keep them alive. Plus, there are natural ways to gradually adjust pH in a more stable fashion. The ph drops suck. Seriously.

Listen to the many voices of experience. We screwed around with our pH when we were noobs. And we killed our fish by doing so.

My pH is 6.6. My fish live and are active and eat well, even lay eggs. Some people here with the same kinds of fish have them in 8.0 and they do well. The only thing you have to be careful of is acclimating them to the pH of your water by adding little bits of it at a time to the bag of water the fish come in before dumping them into your tank.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
In addition to what's already been said: If you didn't let the silicone cure well, then it might have given off some chemicals when you filled the tank back up. Also, if you used a silicone that wasn't 100% silicone without any additives you might be in for further problems in the future. Silicone for bathrooms and several other types have anti-mildew agents in them that will leach toxins into the water that are poisonous to fish. The only available silicone in a hardware store that I'm aware of that's suitable for aquarium use is GE silicone I for Windows and Doors. It's 100% silicone and nothing else. Also any silicone bought at a LFS that says " safe for aquarium use" is good to go.

Not trying to scare you or anything, just want you to be informed.