Bad food killed fish and shrimp!

lag1248

New Fish
Jan 8, 2006
Anyone ever have a problem with frozen brine shrimp being bad? I have been feeding it to my cleaner shrimp and damsel for a year now and have had no problems unitl two days ago. I thought the food smelled too fishy but I fed the tank and on day two my fish and cleaner shrimp were dead. I also had coral that was looking bad so I did 25% water change and it seems to have rebounded. Just curious if anyone heard of this problem. I am really mad and upset I have had these for a year and had no problems and they got killed by food. Thanks

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
On another thread you said you had high NitrATe readings before the water change? What was the reading? That could have been the problem rather then bad food. SW fish are much more sensitive to NitrAte then FW.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sounds possible - I tend to chuck mine when it goes all 'pasty'. if all you feed is brine shrimp they'll die anyway from malnutrition.

lag1248

New Fish
Jan 8, 2006
The food was new and when I bought it , it went straight to the freezer. I had it for about 2 days and began using it. I did a water change and checked my water and the Nitrates were between 0 and 10. I fed the new brine shrimp half a cube then the other half the next day. That night (on the 2nd day) they died. I woke up and the damsel and chrimp were bith dead. The xenia was really sagging. I did a water change but before I did I checked the levels and found all okay except the Nitrates which were 160 or more the sclae ends there. I haven't done anything different then what i had been doing for the past year. That is why I think it was the food. It smelled too fishy not like the other of the same bransd I had before.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
160 ?!!! Oh man...

U sure your nitrate test is reliable ? Did you put some Prime or something that may alter the results ?
I mean, from 0-10 to 160 in so little time..you have a huge biological filtration problem..how much live rock you got ?