bad luck or what?

Jan 19, 2005
Astoria, NY
www.freewebs.com
why is that im losing a fish like once a week... i cant figure out the problem...

i believe all my water parameters are good, i've just checked it... i do 40-50% water change a week... what else do i need to do??? does the diy co2 affect the health of the fish?

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I think some fish don't handle the chaos that sometimes goes with water changes well. I had Florida FlagFish for a long while, and all of the ones that I lost (eventually all of them) died immediately after a water change, within a day. I typically prune at water changes, so I am pulling up stem plants, with roots bringing crud up out of the gravel. This is just my experience though. How many fish you got? Just the 10gallon, or are there more? If you have enough of them, then there is a statistical probability that you're gonna' lose some every once in a while, but every week sounds high for anyone with less tanks than a fish store.

DIY CO2 is plagued with the problem of fluctuating pH levels. This is hard on some fish in particular, while other fish seem to not be bothered in the slightest. Make sure you run a minimum of 2 separate jugs (of whatever size is applicable to the size of tank you have), and change them alternately, or in other words NOT at the same time. This will keep CO2 levels from dropping to close to ZERO, (with a resultant higher pH).

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
You might want to post your water parameters, Chrysler. Try cutting back your weekly water changes to about 25%. Have you observed any unusual fish behavior? Are they listless, darting around, gasping near the surface, etc. What is the temp? Any particular species of fish that you are losing? You had your tank running for awhile. When did you start losing fish?

Jan 19, 2005
Astoria, NY
www.freewebs.com
water parameters:
ammonia - 0ppm
nitrite - 0ppm
pH - around 6 or below

temp - 78

no they dont have unusual behavior...
2 weeks ago, i lost 3 of my albino cories... now i lost my male guppy...

the tankmates are: 9 golden white cloud minnows, 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 otocinclus, 1 fem guppy

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I don't think the pH is the problem. In fact I would bet on it. The fish would be able to adapt well to 6.5. I would cut back the water changes to 20-25% with gravel vacuuming when you do the water changes. Make sure the water is at least room temp when you put it in. Using enough dechlor I hope. I'm not sure what else to suggest.

J'sRamAir

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2003
Lexington, SC
www.geocities.com
Been there, done that. I had (have) the same problem as you. I wasn't losing fish once a week...maybe once a month though. I was changing 10-15g a week in my 55g with gravel vacc'ing and same water parameters as you and I was still losing fish. Eventually I kept trying different types of fish and found that rainbowfish do well for me. Gouramis did not, but that doesn't really make sense since both of those types of fish require the same water parameters. However, I do still have one gourami left which is part of the first batch of 6 fish I ever bought almost 2 years ago.