Bad to start a tank cycle with common goldfish?

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I wanted to do a fish-in cycle. She told me that the fish i bought are hearty and shouldn't die easily. The way I'm gonna do it is test my tank everyday and if something starts to get out of control I'm gonna have her let me know what I need to do. I'm very confident in the lady.

Plus this morning when I woke up (well... about an hour ago) I found that the tank cleared up a lot and isn't so cloudy.
Even though some species are hardier than others. There's no such thing as a truely "hardy" fish. NEVER listen to pet store employees. More often then not, they will tell you these things because they know your fish will die and you will come back to them to buy more. I would not be "very confident in the lady."

borracho

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2009
In-fish cycling is fine. I recommend getting Amquel+ and dose it occasionally after a major water change when your ammonia and nitrite levels get high. Amquel+ detoxifies the harmful compounds and does not interrupt the establishment of the nitrogen cycle. Now, I know some people are gonna try to argue that this is non-sense, but if you read what the chemical does, you'll understand.

By the way, I had a cherry barb fry survive 5ppm of ammonia for 3 weeks with absolute no additional food during a cycling process. Yeah, hardy fish do exist.

I wanted to do a fish-in cycle. She told me that the fish i bought are hearty and shouldn't die easily. The way I'm gonna do it is test my tank everyday and if something starts to get out of control I'm gonna have her let me know what I need to do. I'm very confident in the lady.

Plus this morning when I woke up (well... about an hour ago) I found that the tank cleared up a lot and isn't so cloudy.