bala, blue gourami, and redtail tankmates

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
Hey, I'm thinking ahead ofcourse, since my tank is still in cycle (moving right along now!) I was trying to figure out what else to house with them. I wanted tiger barbs, but, since they need to be kept in a school of at least 5, maybe not... I dont know if i want schooling fish (if i decide on it, I'll probably get some rasboras) what fish can be kept alone (not in a school) that arent teeny tiny in a 30 gallon? (I know, not allot of room to work with) thanks so much for your input! Oh, and I know about the bala shark... the petstore info on the tank said that 30 gallon would be fine, however, everyone here tells me different, because they need to be kept in a school of 3, I may try to give him to someone else, or something... but for now, he's in the 30 gallon...

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
Not trying to drop in on your thread or anything but I have almost the same group of friends living together. I have 2 Balas, 2 Red Tail Sharks, 1 Pictus, and 2 Orange Gouramis along with a common pleco. They are currently waiting for their new home (200g) :D:D to be cycled. I was wondering if it was at all possible to put an oscar in with them, or maybe some dwarf frogs. I'm worried about someone eating someone, but would like input as well and I figured this was a fairly relative thread.

Also, this may sound just ridiculous, but is it possible for a tank to be too big for certain fish?