bala shark and guppies?

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
I hate to post this on here, after reading the "stickies" but I was wondering if i could mix guppies with a red tail shark and bala shark with guppies, because i would like to do a fishless cycle in my 10 gal. (my 10 gal only as guppies in it) or, if i could, but all of them in my 10 gal until i could do a fishless cycle on my 30 gal. help!! I wish i new about this "fishless cycle" before I purchased the fish. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do???

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Unfortunately, you really can't put bala sharks in a tank that small. They get large (12"), need to be in schools and need a lot of swimming room. Compatability wise, balas are very skittish fish that can be kept with most community fish.

So, you already have a 10g up and running with fish? If so, you need to be checking your ammonia and nitrites and doing water changes if either gets above 1ppm.

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
well, I have the bala shark and a red tail shark in a 30 gal right now (the pet store said 30 gal would be ok) but i really wanna do a fishless cycle on it, but its a little late now :( I wish I would have researched this more. And I have to drive 45 miles to the nearest petstore to get the tests... ( I didnt know about testing until recently) I live in a small town... so I have to go to houston to do stuff like that. I will probably go tommorow, but I was hoping that I could figure out a way to put the sharks somewhere else until I could get the cycle completed in the 30 gal and then put my guppies and shark in there.

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
I have just one bala shark in my 30 gallon community, and it isnt posing any threats to anyone, ive had him since he was about 2", and now hes about 5", so i guess him being raised in that environment made him less aggressive and more peaceful.

tubbs24 said:
I have just one bala shark in my 30 gallon community, and it isnt posing any threats to anyone, ive had him since he was about 2", and now hes about 5", so i guess him being raised in that environment made him less aggressive and more peaceful.
They usually don't get aggressive until they're a little bigger. I've heard once they're "old", they have such a temper on them! Just keep an eye on him ;)