bala shark dying

pigpen

Small Fish
Jun 23, 2009
hi everyone im new to this site and somewhat new to fishkeeping.so to the point one of my bala sharks is acting very weird.i put him or her in the tank yesterday and tonight i noticed it was acting as if it had a swim bladder issue,but upon firther inspection i have noticed alot of red behind its anal fin.all of my other fish are doing absolutly fine and i do not have any water testing kits here but i will be going to the pet store tomorrow and get them to test it for me.so if anyone has any info to give me with the info i gave you much appreciated.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
Well usually theres some things to ask.

1. What size of tank
2. what are your readings off your test strips
3. Did you cycle the tank properly?
4. You said you added the fish yesterday?
5. Did you make the tank and just add the fish?
6. Did you get the fish use to the tank water temp and slowly add water to bag with the fish to not freak it out?

It could be a non cycle tank and it can be hurting the fish, it could just be simple freaked out due to maybe not being treated slowly to adding it to new water/tank. It could be shocked or something. Is there any more fish in your tank?

pigpen

Small Fish
Jun 23, 2009
what i have found out today from the pet store water test is that my amoina in me tank is up. she said it wasnot dangerously high and that my filter would get rid of it in time.so what im asking now is that is she right will it just filter out or do i need to get a chemical to emiminate it?i also forgot to mention when i purchaces the fish and got it home i noticed it was missing a few scales and she said he had died of dropsy most likely.she also said that he might not have been healthy when i bought him and that the little increase in amonia might have have him a shock.any help is appreciated

stacic8679

Medium Fish
May 18, 2009
indiana
I am having trouble following you but I will let Joe address that issue. LOL I am no expert but I think you may need to do some water changes to get the ammonia down. I wouldn't use the drops to lower the ammonia. I used the drops and it just messed up the whole cycling process. This is what I was told: Do a 50% water change, treat the new water BEFORE you add it to the tank. Wait a bit (An hour or so) and check the ammonia. If it is still high repeat the process. Make sure the water is close to the same temp so the fish don't go into shock.

pigpen

Small Fish
Jun 23, 2009
all 3 sharks are less than 2 inches.i have full intentions of getting a 150 or bigger in the near future.i will need to make some renovations in order to house the tanks but a bigger tanks coming..in the meantime i have my 10 gallon pretty much cycled i guess.she said my water from that was pretty good too.im gonna give it another week or so and then transfer some tigerbarbs to the 10 to decrease some of the load on the sharks. waterlevels?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ok, your pet store employee is wrong. You can't "filter" out ammonia (your filter will eventually grow bacteria that will eat ammonia though, but that takes time). You need to take a look at the link in my signature below about cycling a tank. I would suggest doing this ASAP, even though the water may look clear and clean, ammonia is invisible and is likely harming your fish. It will only get worse and eventually your fish will die if you don't learn about this now.