bala sharks

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
if a bala can get up to 14 inches, what fish would be safe to put in with them that wont end up getting eaten? in other words- what's the minimum size fish i can keep with a bala? (not that this will happen anytime soon- im only going to have 10 gallons at college)

Sep 15, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
Balas are one of the most peaceful semi-aggresive fish. I would say that technically you don't want anything smaller than its mouth, but i had two balas that were 7 inches long and had a group of small zebra danios and they never touched them. I personally wouldn't worry about it but there may be people out there who have had a different experience

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Pretty much agree.

My pair of balas are peaceful to the other fish but give chase to each other, playfully. But like my other fish, they also adopt the behavior of whoever is the most aggressive at feeding time. This includes going after small guppies, ghost shrimp, and devouring them if they catch them. However, I think this behavior would be quite different if they were the kings of the tank and only were around smaller fish.

I think neons or similar size fish would be fine.

lil_shez

Medium Fish
Jul 3, 2005
Australia
i think it really depends on the personility of your fish but sure when they are full grown there is more chance of them harming the littiler fish but i wouldn't worry about it they should be fine.
how many bala's you want to keep in your 10 gallon???

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
oh no no- no balas in my ten gallon- just 4 female bettas and two black mystery snails for the college dorm rooms. the balas are for 2 years from now when i get my own condo and a 150 gallon. im just trying to read up on them and plan.

lil_shez

Medium Fish
Jul 3, 2005
Australia
well if u have a 150 gallon tank thats pretty BIG so i wouldnt be worried too much about them getting eaten because if its a well planted tank and organised with rocks ect.. they will have plenty of places to hide.
But of course there is always a chance of them getting eaten but from my experience i wouldnt be that worried.
Thats just what i think , other people might disagree.