balancing my tank....

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I have a 15G tank with four cories, 6 neon tetras and a male betta. The male betta is a bit dominant with the neons (he doesn't flare at them or attack them, but sometimes chases them). As a result, my neons always seem to be schooling and look uncomfortable. Is there another fish I could put in the tank to put them at ease? The betta is scared of the cories because they are much bigger then him, but the cories are usually on the bottom...so maybe a larger mid-level swimmer would keep him in check? Thoughts?

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
Neons always school. But if betta is terrorizing them, I don't know that adding another fish will help. Hopefully, someone more experienced will answer soon. But I think, if he's being aggressive towards them, you'll probably have to separate them. Ususally bettas are ok with other fish unless they have beautiful long fins....

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You can try adding more plants and such (fake or real). They should make some more cover for the neons, and break up the line of sight.
It might also make a territory for the betta that he can defend, rather than him claiming the entire tank.

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
The betta has settled down now I think. He was never really agressive, just "annoying" to the neons. I added more plants, some taller that the betta likes to hang out in (keeps him distracted!). The neons are schooling less...I just felt bad for them because I moved them from my tank upstairs where they were quite happy and didn't school so much, they were much more comfortable and not scared of anything (unless there was a load noise or something).