Bamboo Shrimp

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
I bought a new bamboo shrimp today and I'm excited to have this creature in my tank. Now I like to name my fish, but for the life of me, I can't think of a good name for this guy. Any suggestions? I'd get you pics, but he's hiding right now and it's bed time for me. Maybe I'll get some tomorrow. 'Til then though, any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
How about twomomax. Because I think bamboo shrimp live in tanks for about two months max. Mine lasted only a little longer than that. They are really hard to keep fed as they are filter feeders. I think my water was just too cleanf or them. They filtered away in front of the powerhead, but eventually both of them died, while my Amano shrimp got fat.

Good luck with the shrimp. They are beautiful additions to anyone's glass box.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
My ghost catfish, Capser by name, seems to be fine. I'm sure he'd be happier with more fish of his own kind, but for now it's just going to be him. Are they nocturnal? Because I've noticed that Casper stays be my filter input 'til I turn the light off at night. Sometimes I shine a flashlight in there to check on some fish and Casper's swimming about, having fun.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Ghost catfish prefer very low lighting. I think these fish are almost blind in bright light, as food shoots past them and they miss it with intense lighting on. I have my timers set to go off for an hour at lunch time. Either I or my wife drop flakes or frozen shrimp in when the lights are out and they all come zooming out from under the floating plants and chow down. Definitely try to feed them when the hood lights are off, but htere's enough light in the room to watch them.