Barnacle... (starting a bio-cube)

lmatos

New Fish
Aug 22, 2008
Hi all...
quick question is barnacles bad, good or neutral to a saltwater system??...

here is the history

I''m starting one biocube 14 and on the future I will try some corals.....
I have my tank cycling for two weeks now with 15lb of live rock...

I put there to "help"cycle the tank some bait fish and a crab
all smaller than 2" (I got them on a beach nearby...)

On my last trip there (last weekend) I got some lettuce algae anchored to a rock and on this rock there is some very small barnacles (the larger one it's about 2mm)

I looked around and nobody talk about barnacles on a saltwater system, not either nobody sell it.....

and that is my doubt... is it good or bad??...

LM

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
ive never heard of people wanting them in thier tank.
from what i understand though (someone shoot me down if i am wrong) they can grow quickly and overtake your tank. thats if they survive in it

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
While I'm sure it could happen, I've never heard of barnacles taking over a tank. But Fuzz16 hit the nail on the head... they would have to survive first.

They are a purly filter feeding animal and foor what ever reason their husbandry has been rather elusive. Years ago I had a tank up for predatory corals (ie; lots of POM for food) and came across a little piece of shell at a Petcetera that was COVERED with them. 2 weeks later, I had wasted $20... lol ;)

I'm sure there are some who have managed to keep them going...

Chris

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
hmmmm I would be very leary of adding fish/algae animals from the beach to your tank for many reasons. Where do you live? if these are temperate animals they won't survive the higher temps of a tropical tank

lmatos

New Fish
Aug 22, 2008
thanks ALL!!

I'm on NYC but they come from a beach on south of CT... They are a little shy but they apear to be going fine, they are here for 5 weeks and OK, no casualties yet... Even hiding most of the day they eat from the hand during feeding...

I will return them soon as I go back there...

Luis

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Definitely don't put anything back in the ocean that you've had in your tank. Unless everything in your tank is from the same area, you could introduce non-native species into the local ecosystem (pods, algae, bacteria). This can cause devastating effects on the environment, and I strongly suggest you don't do it.