basement

jack_uk90

Medium Fish
Apr 26, 2004
Hello i am thinking of moving rooms into a basement...is it wise to take a fish tank down there as well? As i know a tank needs some natural sunlight. The room is medium sized and the only natural light is through two glass double doors which lead out onto steps that go up to ground level. Is that enough or is there anyway or thing i can use to make up for this?

Thanks

Jack

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yeah...you definitely dont NEED outside sunlight. Matter of fact unless you have live plants outside sun is probably bad because it can cause algae outbreaks and change the temperature of your water more than you want. If you have live plants and depend on the outside light for them to grow, they're probably not going to do too well with just your stock lighting on the tank.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Fish Friend said:
yeah, basement is great for tanks, they dont need natural sun light, because that will just cause algae to grow more and make the temp warmer...
sounds pretty much the same as
FroggyFox said:
Yeah...you definitely dont NEED outside sunlight. Matter of fact unless you have live plants outside sun is probably bad because it can cause algae outbreaks and change the temperature of your water more than you want. If you have live plants and depend on the outside light for them to grow, they're probably not going to do too well with just your stock lighting on the tank.
?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Fish Friend said:
maybe its coz i dont read ALL the posts ?
Perhaps you should....

Definition of a message board :

message board: An application that allows users to post and reply to messages from other users and review the flow of a discussion. Also known as a discussion group.

EDIT: And fish friend, I didn't mean to post this as a mockery to you. It's just sometimes it's very annoying and it wastes a lot of forum space for everyone to read a "new" post that is simply "I agree" type post that fifteen other members have already said in exactly the same manner. Heck, if I responded to every post that I agreed with like as an example "yes, I agree two plus two = four" with the response "My opinion is that two plus two = four" than I'd be a "Super Fish" too. If the question has already been answered with whatever you would have originally posted, then repetitive answers get annoying for message board users. No need for you to respond with yet another post. This is just a little friendly advise. :)

Last edited: