??? Before I frag LOL

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I bought a new toadstool the other day. Its not a regular one, this one has a big top and a ( how can I say this) the sides are like a ribbon that has folds in it. Under the top and growing out of the stem is a baby toadstool. The stem on the baby is about an inch long and it has a small head. Will this baby drop off, or does it need to be fragged off? If it has to be fragged off, what do I need to do with the baby after I frag it? Or should I just leave it alone till it gets bigger? I would post a pic, but the wife hasn't taken a pic of it yet, she will by tomorrow, :)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
If you want you can remove the baby with a sharp razor blade and attach it to a small piece of rubble with a rubber band. It will then attach and you can place it where you want. Just remember that toadstools and other leathers are notorious for chemical aleopathy warfare with your other corals by giving off and secreting chemicals that can harm sps etc. and other corals in your tank.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've always read to leave a coral in your tank at least a few weeks (or months) before fragging. I usually do this to avoid double-shocking the coral.

A pic would be really helpful. We have one toadstool that peels off its outer edge and drops off pieces. We usually wait for them to fall off and then attach them to rubble.