Before I put in a betta

CheLives

Small Fish
Jun 23, 2004
Visit site
so i have had my 20 gallon aquirium set up for over a week now. I am ready to purchase a betta to put in.

1) should I test the water before I add the fish?

2) I have a lid for the aquirium with a florescent light. thus, there is not too much oxegyn getting in, except for the open area on the lid where the heater and filter go through, and a small area i cut out as well. how much of the lid should be opened to get ox.?

3) i placed in some rocks that i had in another small aqurium (where my original betta became deseased and died) I washed them with hot water and put them in the new tank, and just realized that they were not made specificaly for aquriums. Can i test the water to see if they polluted it?

4) other things I should do before adding the fish?

Mar 11, 2003
To answer your questions as simply as possible:

1) I have never bothered testing my water...ever and I have kept and raised bettas for a while now. I'd say if you haven't had problems with your water before, you probably won't now. However, most fish hobbyists strongly recommend you test it. Its up to you.

2) I have a 20 gallon tall that has a full lid and florescent light too, and when full, the water almost touches the top of the aquarium. I thought that not much air would get in either, even with the filter's flow, so I added an airstone just to be on the safe side. Also, since my aquarium is a tall it is harder for it to exchange oxygen all the way to the bottom of the tank. However, bettas are labyrinth fish and do not breathe from the water, only from the atmospheric air. So low oxygen levels usually do not bother them. (I only worry about it because I also house other fish in the tank with my bettas). Oh, BTW, I do keep 2 bettas in the same tank only because they are females and do not show aggression.

3) I would throw out the rocks...better safe then sorry. Always use things that say they are made for aquariums, any other type of rock can be harmful to your fish, especially when they are heated.

4) Do you have the water heated? Bettas prefer temps between 75*F and 80*F, but can tolerate temps around 72*F. Other than that, I think you're good to go.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
Firstly, you do not need to throw out your rocks. Drop a little vinegar on them and see if they fizz. If they do, don't use them. To be extra safe, you can place them in a bowl. Test the pH. Leave them for a day or so and test the water again. Many people use "real" rocks in their tanks w/o a problem.

What will you plan on keeping with your betta? If you plan on keep other fish, you will want to hold off on adding him, and fishless cycle the tank. That way, you can add the other fish in at the same time as him and the tank will be fully cycled.

If you choose not to fishless cycle the tank, you will go through a mini cycle every time you add a group of new fish. This will build ammonia and nitrite levels - for which you will need to measure the values to keep an eye on them.

If you are keeping more than a betta in this tank (which I will assume you will), you need to test your water parameters. Testing can be very important, especially when you are first starting out. (While precious might not test her water, I have to disagree strongly with the thought of telling a new-ish person to the hobby, or anyone for that matter, not to test their water....ever.)

Most tanks have lids just the same as yours. Just accomodate by not filling the tank to the absolute brim. Leave a few inches of air from the surface of the water to the lid:)