Begginer...with questions

mzimmy

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2003
NH
I just recently bought a ten gallon tank(with filter and heater).....i am looking into possibly making it a salt water tank. Is this to small? How many salt water fish could i put in it, and what fish should i put in it? What type of decorations should i put in it? Anything you could possibly think of telling a begginer would be very much appreciated....thank you so much!
Megan

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
Use it as a fresh water tank. If the fish bug bites (and it will) you will soon be looking for a bigger tank. Than use the bigger tank for salt water.

10 gallon salt water would be possible as a reef but that is some serious advanced level stuff. and should not be used as a beginner tank. As for fish only, yes you could put a damsel or 2 in but thats it, which is pretty boring considering the extra effort involved in maintaining a salt tank.

With the fresh water setup the possibilities are endless as to how stock it. and in my opinion alot more fun.

Pooky125

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Corvallis, Or
Saltwater fish are stunning, I know, I was bitten by the bug before I even got into aquariums, but I waited for over 8 months, doing research, and trying to under stand as much as I could, before taking the plunge into saltwater. I spent those long months, on freshwater aquariua. When done correctly, and kept up, they can be equally as beautiful as a reef tank can be. I suggest looking into planted aquaria first. It will cost you close to the same amount, to set up an all out planted tank, as it will a reef tank, and will give you some great experience used your belt before you attempt a saltwater tank.

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Hmm... don't know about fw tank as stunning as a sw reef, but yes with a sw tank that small it would be difficult to do too much with it giving there is very little room for error, things would have to be monitored closely daily. If you want to start a sw tank but want to keep it small I would reccommend a 30g minimum, that will give you enough room to put in a couple fish and some inverts.