Beginner with a 75g tank :)

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
I couldn't help myself. Thought about a 55g, but found someone selling a 75g for cheap, so I jumped on it. I realize starting out with a huge tank isn't ideal, but I am doing my research and hoping it will all work out. Here are a few questions for those experienced ones out there:

1. I am planning on getting a Marineland Emperor 400 because I have read a lot of positive comments about them and it can handle a 75g tank (assuming I am good about my fish population). Is it worth getting two of them (one for each side of my tank) to balance things out better and improve filtration? From what I read, it sounds like there are a lot of factors to take into consideration.

2. Should I also get two 300w heaters (one for each side of the tank) so the heating is more balanced and one heater isn't taking all the load?

3. I really like how sand looks in a tank, but is it more of a hassle than the normal substrate rocks? What are the pros and cons of sand vs gravel?

4. What are some brand names that you can always depend on when buying eqiupment?

5. What is the best way to clean a used tank (not sure what was in it before, looked like a salt water tank)? I have heard using ammonia or bleach would be a good idea with a lot of rinsing out after.

Really looking forward to getting this tank up and running. Glad I found this site to read about other peoples experiences and see how much everyone enjoys their tanks. Thanks in advance for anyone who reads and responds to my thread!

Current Status: Tank needs to be washed and stand is in the process of being built. :)

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
The larger tank the more stable the water is and that meens less worry on your part. So you did a good thing with this. And hey, can't beat a good deal on a tank.

1)I've had great luck with this particular filter, and have it running with an XP3 canister on my 75 gallon. Just my $.02, but I would rather spend the money on either a HOB (Emperor) and a canister, than two HOB's for this size tank. Or mabey just invest in a canister filter for now, and then add on a HOB if need be.

2) Two 200w will be more than enough. But yes, one on either side of the tank will work nicley.

3) Sand is a little more troublesome when first preparing to put it in a tank compared to regular gravel, but the extra time spent in the begining is more than worth it IMO.

Sand needs to be rinesed very well before placing it into a tank, where a quick wash will get gravel ready to go.

Gravel will allow solid fish waste to get inbetween the rocks. Sand is too fine to allow this to happen, and will stay on the surface quickly letting you know when you need to syphon the gunk out.

Sand looks more natural for most fish, and depending on the fish, it can allow them to act more natural.

4) We've all had good experinces and bad with different makers of aquarium equipment. However the biggest names out there, and most of the time most dependable are (in no particualr order, and certinaly not a total list):

Eheim
Marineland
Hagan
Aquarium Pharmicuticles (sp)

5) Vineger is good, as is ammonia. Avoid bleach if you can, because it can be difficult to rinse it well enough to get all of it out. Even a small amount of bleach can be toxic to fish.

These are just quick answers to your questions. Feel free to ask if you need someone to elaborate more. And most importantly, Have fun!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Bigger tank is better, more stocking options, fewer water problems.

I've heard that you can use bleach as long as you rinse it really good and then use some dechlorinater afterwards and rinse again... dechlorinater also gets rid of bleach.

I personally like the look of sand better, although none of my freshwater tanks have it. My next one will. Sand looks more natural, and isn't any more trouble to take care of once it's in there. Just put some in a bucket, and rinse until the water runs clear.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Welcome

Hi there Mainer...congrats on your tank..I myself went from a ten gallon to a 125 and learned very quickly that a bigger tank can be much easier to care for than a small one. I have two tanks at this time, one is a 100 with Discus in it and the other is a 35 with Mbuna Cichlids in it...this one also has sand I got from a local river, these fish are from a lake and LOVE to scoop it, spit it, move it around and is cool to watch them. I think it depends on what kind of tank you want to set up what subtrate would be best. Yes, I would steer clear of the bleach, it tends to leave a soapy residue that is hard to get rid of. Sounds like you are doing your homework before you set up your tank which is very important...figure out what you want..a community tank?, a species tank? river? lake? and what kind of fish then you can plan exactly how to do it right the first time. Good luck, and most important ENJOY!

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Thank you all for your help and suggestions! I will have to look into canister filters. It's reassuring to know that a 75g tank might not be too bad after all. :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree with whats been said...but here's my additional two cents :)

I got my first canister filter this year and its a Fluval 304...so far I have had NO problems with it and its been a breeze to work with. (minus a little frustration setting it up lol) I love it SO much more than my HOB filters. If I had a tank your size I think I'd go with a canister filter for my main filtration and then maybe add a smaller HOB just for some additional surface agitation and a backup filter.

I love the look of sand in my tanks...but like Orion said it is more difficult in the washing and prep before you can get it into the tank. Also, if you're going to do live plants sand might not be the best substrate for you to use...you should research that a bit more if you're planning on

Elbow Grease is the best way to clean a tank ;) honestly...fill it up in the bathtub or outside or something (make sure its level) let it soak and scrub it. Just be sure not to use a sponge or anything that has any cleaners on it. If you get some parts that just WONT come clean, try diluted vinegar or bleach etc.