Beginners 40 gallon tank

May 23, 2011
Hi, I'm new to the hobby and am starting a 40 gallon community tank. The tank is 12" front to back. It was previously a saltwater tank and I have read that a 3:1 mixture of water to vinegar is needed to properly clean the tank. Can anybody confirm this or tell me the right way to do this.

Also, my list of fish for the tank is:
5+ Checkered Barbs
6+ Black Ruby Barbs
3 Yoyo Loaches
2 Dwarf Gouramis(1 male and one female)
3 Swordtails/Platys(1 male and 2 females)

Doea this sound good or will these fish not get alomg with each other?

Any suggestions/comments/constructive critisism is greatly appreciated.

May 4, 2011
Ohio
As long as they are all peaceful, community fish with similar water parameters and have plenty of hiding spaces they should get along. Vinegar removes the hard-water deposits and is good for general cleaning of the tank and lights, not sure about removing salt. Be forewarned swordtails are livebearers and will readily breed, ask around local fish stores to see if they will pay you for fry or accept them as a donation lest you be over-populated. I'm not sure of swordtails specifically but it seems to be common of livebearers, pregnant when you buy them if they were tanked with a male and they stay pregnant for months. Any other information about the tank? Filtration, planted, substrate, test kit? Does it still have the silicone seal around the edges/bottom or do you need to re-seal it? Do you have any plans on getting a quarantine or hospital tank? Welcome to the forums.

May 23, 2011
The tank does still have the seal on the bottom. I plan to make the tank moderatly planted. I am not entirely sure on the filter but it is from a saltwater tank so I think it will be good enough for this. Also dpes the filter need to be cleaned because it was in the saltwater and if so how would I go about doing that? I currently do not own a test kit and I dont plan on having a quarintine tank because space is limited. The substrate will be gravel. Also I changed my mind on what fish I want in the tank. Here is the updated list.

6 Black Ruby Barbs
8 Tiger Barbs
3 Yoyo Loaches

What other kind of fish would be compatiable with this group?

Thanks a bunch!