Beginners - Remember to Quarantine

Oct 31, 2004
Chicago
Visit site
Just a reminder to all to remember to quarantine. About a year ago, with the help of the great members of this board, I got my 55 gallon tank up and running. Its been in perfect shape for almost a year exactly.

However, I went to the LFS and purchased a few more fish. Within a week I lost 11 fish. 2 male Kribs, 1 Albino Cory, 2 Cherry Barbs, and all 6 Neon Tetras. I believe I just about have everything back to normal and only one of my fish is showing a fungus.

I never bothered quarantining fish before, even though it is constantly recommended.

So, this is just a word of warning to everyone else.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
so your tank ran fine for a year, then after a year of success you just dumped new fish in without quarantine? How many fish did you buy? you said a few more and then lost 11 fish... perhaps one of the few had some good fungus disease when added? Sorry to hear your loss, yup QT is the way to go on new fish saves the troubles in your main tank.

Jan 23, 2007
Michigan
That is a big loss and must be hard to bear. Sorry for your loss there.

One caveat I use is that I always use the QT from chain stores but not always from the LFS I am familiar with. I do however use QT for any Angel I buy from anywhere.