Beginning Salt Water Tank Cycle -

Masz

New Fish
Jul 26, 2008
Hello all,

Starting up a sw tank cycle and my nitrite level is at a .25 now. According to my local aquarium store, still unsafe for damsels. Any thoughts? Should I wait it out, or is it possible damsels could survive in this environment?

Please advise-
Masz

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Just wait untill all of your params are at 0.. What size is the tank? You really don't wanna put damsels in the tank anyways because later you will want to take them out b/c the are kinda aggressive and will pick on your other fish.. How much live rock do you have? The general rule is at least 1lb of rock per gallon of water..

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Don't get damsels! A lot of fish stores recommend them as fish to cycle the tank or "test" the tank. It's just not necessary, and you'll be left with some mean fish that will attack any other fish.

Assuming you have live rock in the tank, wait for the ammonia and nitrites to both be zero, do a water change, then start stocking your tank. "Easy" fish are good to start off with, including clown fish, some of the gobies, cardinals.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i agree with whats already been said.... no damsels! (not even when the tank ready) i kno ther cheap but if your looking for cheap u may be getting into the wrong hobby :p

btw its not safe to put any fish/inverts till your ammonia and nitrites both read zero ;)

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Welcome... just wait a little longer before adding anything.

I went the damsel route when I first started and I recommend NOT doing it. They were mean and very difficult to catch to remove them. In a larger tank they would be great to have, but I wouldn't put them in a small tank.