Best algae eater in small coldwater tank?

Nov 13, 2005
Hello to you all. I've set up a small coldwater tank and I would like to know what is the best algae eater to purchase?

I know plecostomas / oto's are for tropical tanks, so what would I use in a coldwater tank?

Many thanks

Nov 13, 2005
Thank you all for your responses...

It's a 20litre tank with two small goldfish in it, and i would rather it not be overstocked etc, so im not sure about getting another fish to eat the algae. I think maybe i'll go for a snail to rid the tank of algae as it doesn't affect the bio load as much...

If I were to go for a snail, what type of snail would it be? i.e what would I ask for at my local pet store? I don't want a snail that'd end up laying eggs and overpopulating my tank with snails!

Another question, would the goldfish not bother the snail?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you have an algae problem, it's most likely caused by your current overstocking. Goldfish should have 40 litres each, at least, for their best health. In your tank, you will have a lot of trouble keeping your fish healthy, and algae is probably the least of your worries :)

Nov 13, 2005
Lotus - I changed the setup from tropical to cold water - the algae was already in the tank. At the moment it is definitely not overstocked, but as they get bigger I will move them to a larger tank as to keep them healthy!

Do I just ask for a pond snail?? I know snails are hermaphrodites, so im a bit scared to buy a snail and end up with a whole family of snails! :)

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
No offense, 20 liters is only a lil over 5 US gallons. Any way you look at it you are over stocked unless those fish are only 1 inch long. Sorry Algae will always be an issue in this tank set up like this. I would not add ANY thing not even a snail as it is just going to add to your ever increasing bioload.

Cheers
Pure

DarkMuse

Medium Fish
May 12, 2005
Kentucky
chiropractor said:
Lotus - I changed the setup from tropical to cold water - the algae was already in the tank. At the moment it is definitely not overstocked, but as they get bigger I will move them to a larger tank as to keep them healthy!

Do I just ask for a pond snail?? I know snails are hermaphrodites, so im a bit scared to buy a snail and end up with a whole family of snails! :)

Goldfish as a whole produce more ammonia than "regular" fish. Roughly you would need 15 gal/goldfish (a bigger tank is prefered however) so I have heard. Just keep a close eye on your ammonia levels and think about getting a larger tank in a bit. The following paragraph was found on this site:http://www.petlibrary.com/goldfish/advcare.htm

The Truth about Tanks

The fact is that you will need a large tank to keep your goldfish in. For common goldfish or comets, a 55 gallon is optimum (it will hold about 2 or 3 fully grown fish). For smaller varieties, a 30 gallon for 2 or 3 will suffice. It is perhaps better to obtain a large living space for your fish from the start rather than waiting for them to outgrow a small tank before making a transition. Goldfish grow quickly, especially when cared for well, and they will need as much space as you can provide. A small tank or fishbowl does not provide as much space, and can sometimes stunt the growth of goldfish or cause other developmental problems. In a large tank, they will live longer, happier lives, and grow to their full potential. It is also possible to calculate the capacity of your tank.
Here are a few more sites:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/gldfshdisease.htm
http://www.nunnie.com/goldfish.html

As for the snail, I have had mine for over 6 months and *knock on wood* it hasn't laid eggs. I like to think it's a guy because of that. lol

Amanda