Best/easiest filter for 55gal.

b_melton8

Small Fish
Oct 7, 2004
Visit site
I have a 55 gal. salt with a ugf. and protein skimmer right now. I'm looking to do away with the UGF and replace the crushed coral substrate i currently have b/c water will barely flow through it. Any recommendations on a low maintenance filter choice for a fish only setup? Any suggestions for a new substrate also? Thanks for any help!
Ben

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
get rid of the ugf first good move.....get rid of the crushed coral...add live sand and live rock if you have enough LS aznd LR and a good skimmer thats all you'll need

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
less surface area for bacteria to grow. holds waste(food,poop)...basically a nitrate trap.Since i scrapped my C.C. and my U.G.F. my nitrates have dropped more than 4 times what they were...

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
got 30 pound CC..nitrates = 5. Doesn't look like a big trap ( for me ), but logically it could be a nitrate factory since it can hold detritus. The high point of CC is that i takes less amount to do a bed than sand, and you can move stuff in your tank without resulting in a substrate storm.
Sand looks more natural

b_melton8

Small Fish
Oct 7, 2004
Visit site
purple alge has taken over. I'm going to replace the crushed coral probably today. What would be the next good step to get rid of the algae? Right now i have a 220 watt. compact light. Is a single tube light with a 50/50 bulb adequate for live rock and a fish only setup? Should i buy some snails to get rid of the algae or after i replace the light you think that will clear up on it's own? Thanks for all the help

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Never used it. It could kill your nitrifiers, since it kills microbes.
Don't know much about products that remove cyano. All i know is that some people had no probs at all with chemi-clean and Red Slime remover, and others had killed some corals with it. Since i'm trying to keep a reef, i don't wanna lose my babies ;0) . If things go out of control i might consider.
When my tank was fairly new and saw a light purple-red color on every rock, i just reduced light time and food ( had like 2 damsels no corals ) and it vanished.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Some sites pretend that some snails, like ceriths, are cyano eater. I've seens my snails on the cyano, but i don't think they eat it ( more toxic than McDonald )..they just run over and cyano get stucked on the shell and have a free ride to get elsewhere. But yes, you should definitly get some snails for your aquarium. Based on my experience with 4 types of snails :

1 - Turbo : if you rock is solid and don't have corals ( they like to bulldoze everything 'cause they're huge ), they are the best workers due to their size.
Oh yeah...also like to suicide in powerheads.

2 - Astreas : Superb workers, quite big, but don't crush fragile stuff. My favorites. Beware : they are morons..can easily fall on their back and if you don't help them, they'll eventually die.

3 - Nassarius : Great like guys. Always cleaning, speedy, very precise and like substrate/glass/rock. Clean everywhere. If they were bigger it would be my favorites.

4 - Bumble Bee. Cool colors, but they sleep much compare to others..in my case. I noticed they like the base of my corals.

b_melton8

Small Fish
Oct 7, 2004
Visit site
i need to get some,.....i've got about 3 in there right now and they don't even close do the job. I'm in the process though of replacing my lights with just a twin tube fixture and i'm goin to do just a fish only. I have the tank at my business and it's just too much to deal with for a reef tank.

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
They keep crawling in the input side and the powerhead keeps em there plugging up the flow with snail... so i bought some heater protectors and slid em over the intake